Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How do you figure out square footage of a hexagon?

How do you figure out square footage of a hexagon?

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out the square footage of my gazbo. It has 6 equal sides.
    Does anybody know how this is done? I tried a google search but my head started to hurt.
    Thanks
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

Re: How do you figure out square footage of a hexagon?

Area = 3 * sqrt(3) / 2 * (Edge Length)^2

Area ~ 2.598 * (Edge Length)^2

Edge length is also equal to the radius at a point since it is made up of 6 equilateral triangles.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

hmm... his formula looks like it would work. but id just cut it into 6 different triangle and figure it out that way
    my pool: 18x32 20,000ish Gallons with a 3/4HP pump and sand filter. 1 skimmer 2 returns. Cheap Ebay Kreepy Knock off. Rookie BBB user.

The formula is correct, 6 x (area of equilateral triangle) reduces to what mas985 said.
    Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Edge length is also equal to the radius at a point since it is made up of 6 equilateral triangles.
    Radius of the circumscribed circle (picky, picky). If you compare the area of that circle (pi x r^2, or ~ 3.14 x r^2) to the exact area of the hexagon (~2.6 x r^2) you see the multiplier is a little smaller for the exact area, which makes sense because the hexagon is smaller than the circle that goes around it.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

I hate to read someone else's mind, since my own is difficult enough to read, but I think mas985 was just trying to give the OP another view on how you would measure "edge length".

Although I have to say that obtaining pi as the limit of a sequence of regular polygons is a pretty cool way to present things to the students.

If only we didn't have to use that "circumscrision" word ... ouch!

Just in fun.

Cheers, Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

A hexagon is two equal trapezoids; therefore 2(base 1 + base 2)/2 * height
    or in other words: add the distance of one side to the distance between two opposite corners and multiply the sum by half of the distance between the midpoint of two opposite sides
    18'6" x 36'6" Grecian In-ground
    27,000 gal. (give or take)
    Sand Filter
    Polaris
    Solar Cover

Thanks for the replies,my head still hurts and I don't even think I asked the right question.
    I am thinking of making my gazbo a permanent structure. I am trying to figure out how many square(100sqft) the roof will be. Cedar shingles are quite exspensive and I am trying to figure out a price just for the roof.

Here is a picture if somebody could explain it in even lamer terms that would be great.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by haybird
    Here is a picture if somebody could explain it in even lamer terms that would be great.
    Thanks
    Give me some dimensions and I will give you the square footage.
    What is the dimension from one flat wall to another, or what is the dimension from one corner to the adjacent corner (point to point)?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

Thanks for you help Av8tor. Each flat wall is 6 1/2 ft. From corner to coner is 12 1/2ft.

Ah, well then what you have is a hexagonal pyramid. The surface area will be slightly more than the flat hexagon. If you want to match the exact size and shape of the umbrella, you can use direct measuremens from the umbrella.

In a hexagonal pyramid, the triangles are no longer equalateral but since you can measure it directly, the formula is much easier.

Surface Area = 6 * Triangle Area = 6 * (1 / 2 * B * H) = 3 * B * H

B = the length of one side of the hexigon
    H = distance from the top of the umbrella to the mid point on a side measure on the surface (a flat hexagon reduces to sqrt(3) / 2 * B as previously shown)

However, you might want to plan for some waste so you don't come up short.

[EDIT] You must of posted while I was writing this. One more measurement would be useful if you want the exact surface area. Please measure from the top of the umbrella to the mid point on one of the sides. Otherwise, the surface area will be only the projection of the umbrella and you will come up short on material. A flat hexagon would be about 110 sq-ft.
    Mark
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

Or, half of the perimeter multiplied by the slant height ( the distance from the base of one of your triangles to the apex )
    18'6" x 36'6" Grecian In-ground
    27,000 gal. (give or take)
    Sand Filter
    Polaris
    Solar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by haybird
    Thanks for you help Av8tor. Each flat wall is 6 1/2 ft. From corner to coner is 12 1/2ft.
    101.487 square feet if it is 12.5 feet corner to corner. In CAD however a hexagon 12.5 feet across points then shows the flat walls to be 6.25 feet (not 6.5). This should be close enough for you.

This is area of the flat floor
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

Quote Originally Posted by AV8TOR
    101.487 square feet if it is 12.5 feet corner to corner. In CAD however a hexagon 12.5 feet across points then shows the flat walls to be 6.25 feet (not 6.5). This should be close enough for you.

This is area of the flat floor
    Unless I misread Haybird's intensions, he is trying to replace the umbrella with a roof of the same pitch so it is not flat. Depending on the pitch of the roof, the error can be quite high.

Assuming the 6.5' side length measurement is correct and a 30 degree pitch on the roof, the area would be 126.75 sq-ft.
    Mark

Thanks for your help. It will give me a good idea what my price will be.