How often do you test your water?

I do have a question on SWG systems though. So I have the Intellichlor 40 ordered and will probably be installed sometime next week (yeah!) I watched some videos on operating it and it seems pretty simple - but how do you dial in your FC. What I am getting at is on the cell there are buttons depending on the chlorine output that you want (20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%). That is fine - but if you have a CYA of 40 and according to TFP your target FC should be 5ppm, by just selecting the percent it doesn't seem like it would be very exact versus if you were using liquid chlorine you can then go to pool match and figure out how much to add.

The Taylor kit is great...no regrets.

Do you know your current daily FC loss?

To dial in FC, use liquid chlorine to reach target level before setting SWG. Use Pool Math "Effects of Adding" tab to calculate how long and and what percentage to run SWG to your daily loss. If you're not sure, set it for 4 ppm per day and adjust from there. Make sure to increase CYA level to match TFP recommendations for SW CYA levels.

ah! Thanks Mike and Rancho - very helpful. SWG definitely sounds like the way to go. The idea of needing to constantly put bleach in my pool is less appealing to me! This at least takes care of that part!

SWG definitely sounds like the way to go
No regrets here. Give your SWG the best chance at survival by maintaining chemistry within TFP guidelines. Keep TA below 80 ppm to avoid scaling and CSI between 0.0 and -0.30.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks - curious - according to the TFP recommended pool levels - it looks like CYA is much lower for a liquid chlorine versus SWG..why is that? I thought the higher the CYA - the more difficult it is for chlorine to sanitize so I would think it should be the same level for both types

Also at 70 CYA - the target FC is 5-10ppm at those levels - is there a chlorine smell to the water? Why do the pool company all say 1-3ppm is ideal?

Why do the pool company all say 1-3ppm is ideal?
Because it works for drinking water, sealed in pipes. In an outdoor pool exposed to UV, notsomuch. Many lose 4ppm a day to mid season UV, so unless they're adding every couple of hours, the 1 to 3 industry recs are going to fail miserably.

When you factor CYA into the equation, it gets even worse.
looks like CYA is much lower for a liquid chlorine versus SWG..why is that?
SWGs add FC sloooooooowly so it needs the extra protection or it will be lost quicker than its produced. By needing more runtime to keep up, lifespan gets decreased

For LC pools, FC gets spiked immediately and can afford to drift down all day.
Also at 70 CYA - the target FC is 5-10ppm at those levels - is there a chlorine smell to the water?
The smell is from the chlorine working. In a sanitary pool there is no smell, even at SLAM level of 28 FC for 70 CYA. I've gone to half slam, or even full slam for many parties and nobody was the wiser.

If there was a smell, it was because people were making bather waste that would have happened either way. Sweat, body oils, sunscreen and what have you.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta