Water Loss?!

Jul 19, 2015
NJ
Hello everyone! This is our 2nd season with a pool here in NJ. It's a salt water pool about 20'x40' and in the sun the entire day. Last year we were adding water almost everyday. We closed the pool and when we reopened it for this season it was fine, nice and full of water. There were a few plumbing problems near the pump we took care of this year and that seemed to help. We didn't need to add water as often after that.

However recently, we have been experiencing water loss overnight that does not make sense. The pump is off and the water level goes down 2-3". Is there anyway this is from evaporation or is it what I am dreading? The liner? We are on well water and it isn't great having to add water everyday. I'm afraid we are going to run out.

Is there a way we can find a hole in the liner ourselves? Or is this something a professional must do?

We love being able to swim but this pool seems to be a huge money pit. :(

Hello Lilly and welcome to TFP! Sorry to hear about your water loss. Losing water at night can be concerning. I would suggest you read this page: Pool School - Leak Detection. If you haven't seen it already, it may help give you some more ideas. From there, we can assist with some other options to "try" and isolate the cause if possible.

Another thing that may help us is to know your pool specifics (i.e. type of pool, number of skimmers/drains, etc). Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. This may help give us more clues.

Oop, cross posted with ts

Welcome lily. While I can't help you in the leak detection department (give me time, my liner's 15 years old ;) I can say your first step would be a bucket test.

Fill and mark a bucket with pool water and measure or mark your pool level. Compare 24 hours later to see if the pool has lost more than the bucket.

Please also add your pool specs to your signature.

With a lot of splash out, cannonballs, etc. it is "possible" to loose that much in a day, but not normal. I believe the national average of pool evaporation is about a quarter inch a day ... But that doesn't mean much, as environmental condition and water temp / differential make a big difference.

I will let anyone familiar with leak detection knowledge weigh in, but re: well top ups, I wanted to let you know that pre-filtering the hose can help partially reduce trace iron etc. Here's a filter I use on the hot tub (pool is now on soft water from the house ;). Amazon.com : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.