Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Abalone Shells

1. Back To Top    #1

Abalone Shells

Our Pebble Sheen is being applied tomorrow and we decided to add the abalone shells. I was told they can apply it mixed in with the Sheen through the gun or they can "broadcast" (apply by hand) it on top. If it's mixed in, some of it wont be seen as it will get buried. If it's broadcasted (hand applied), it will lay on top more and be more visible. If it is applied this way, they said the walls would not be done. The only way to get coverage on walls is to go the mixed in route. If you have Abalone shells, how did they apply yours? Pics would be very much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Abalone Shells

Anyone add Abalone shells to PT ONLY on Tanning Ledge and Spa?

New Pool Build - Conroe, TX - LOTS of pics! Come say hi Y'all.

Here is a wonderful build that used these. She had them broadcast and loves it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am having it done as well and am making sure it gets applied by hand. I'm having them focus on the steps and tanning ledge where you will see the wow factor the most.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

4. Back To Top    #4

Will definitely have them apply by hand. Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Saw a black pebble pool yesterday that had shells applied by hand. Didn't even notice if there was any on the walls. The pool bottom sparkled in the sun. What a beautiful accent on a black plaster pool! It was stunning!
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

I LOVE mine! By hand - (they did get a little on the walls, but I think that was just some extra).
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

7. Back To Top    #7

Just curious- do you purchase the shells separately or do you get them through your PB?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

8. Back To Top    #8

I arranged shells through pool builder. The deck sq/ft was a little short so they credited me towards the shells. They are out there now applying the sheen. They are doing the shells by hand, including the walls after all. Man, they are fast!

- - - Updated - - -

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Oh man..... I love your sun shelf with the little turtle fellas!!! Now I want that, too! (also your huge sun shelf!)

Is that Blue Granite? Whatever it is, it looks great!

Gee....... your information in your signature with the pool color must have disappeared! I wonder what in the world happened? I can't imagine?!!!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

The turtles are adorable.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

12. Back To Top    #12

LOVE the turtles!!!!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Oh man..... I love your sun shelf with the little turtle fellas!!! Now I want that, too! (also your huge sun shelf!)

Is that Blue Granite? Whatever it is, it looks great!

Gee....... your information in your signature with the pool color must have disappeared! I wonder what in the world happened? I can't imagine?!!!
    Suz.
    I guess you forgot about us talking about color in my build thread already....lol blue granite. Sig coming soon

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JupPool View Post
    I guess you forgot about us talking about color in my build thread already....lol blue granite. Sig coming soon
    Sorry, my mind is too scattered to remember everyone's pool details! And ohhhh myyyyy, it's just soooo exhausting to use my little fingers to click on page numbers and THEN search for the name...... Even just scrolling to the top of a page is more than I can manage! Lol!!! Anyway, you get the point..... Help out us old people! Lol!!!! (you're a good sport, btw!)

So, acid wash tomorrow and then fill?
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Sorry, my mind is too scattered to remember everyone's pool details! And ohhhh myyyyy, it's just soooo exhausting to use my little fingers to click on page numbers and THEN search for the name...... Even just scrolling to the top of a page is more than I can manage! Lol!!! Anyway, you get the point..... Help out us old people! Lol!!!! (you're a good sport, btw!)

So, acid wash tomorrow and then fill?
    Suz.
    Yep! Tomorrow can't come soon enough

16. Back To Top    #16

Tonight will be a LONG night LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Did anyone wonder if they'd have even pebble exposure after day 2 acid wash? How'd it come out?

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm late to the party - but I will answer your question anyway. I had asked for the shell to be hand seeded. However, when the PT finisher came out, they actually mixed it into the mix. I didn't realize this until the finish was sprayed onto the pool. Here's the funny thing - when I was talking to the finisher, he asked me how much I paid for the abalone. I told him $100 for the pool. He was surprised because he said each bag typically cost $70, and he put in 7 bags. So I am not sure if I was supposed to get 1 bag of abalone shell that was supposed to be hand seeded but instead got 7 bags that were mixed in. Or did the sales guy give me a deal? Either way - I didn't have to pay any "extra" if it was a mistake. I love the way the abalone shell sparkles in the pool. Best part - I am an abalone diver, so I plan on having abalone shells decoration around my pool.

Minh
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

19. Back To Top    #19

Nice "mistake" for sure!

Kim