Anyone add Abalone shells to PT ONLY on Tanning Ledge and Spa?

Sunbaby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2015
Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I am so far over budget the idea of adding another $550 for shells (for the entire pool) hurts. I thought I would see if anyone has added it just to the tanning ledge and spa? Any pictures, suggestions, thoughts? Going to ask my PB tomorrow about it - but before I do, thought I would see what the peanut gallery thought.

I have thought of the same thing.

We don't have any markers on our steps or the ledge of our tanning shelf - so I thought it might be nice to brighten up the surface of these areas to prevent people from hitting them???

- - - Updated - - -

I have thought of the same thing.

We don't have any markers on our steps or the ledge of our tanning shelf - so I thought it might be nice to brighten up the surface of these areas to prevent people from hitting them???

Suz the Peanut here!! My PB gave me a price of $350 for adding the shells to the pool and spa, everywhere. Just thought it might be helpful for you to know what another area PB is charging. Maybe it will give you a little bargaining leverage - or not! Maybe you could mention a lower price to compensate for all the rain delays?????? Your PB has been so great. I think he might give you a break!

To me this is one of those things you can NOT add later, so if at all possible, add them if you can. People who have them added love them. I haven't been able to really tell the difference in pictures. People post pictures with the shells added and say, "Aren't they gorgeous?!" I can't see it, but the people who have them are so excited that I'm taking their word that it's worth it. I'm definitely going go with the shells. If your PB won't budge on the price, then do whatever areas you can!

I think they will look great wherever you add them regardless of whether or not you can do all of the pool. What I DON'T know is if it would give you 'more bang for the buck' by adding them to the deeper areas (main pool area) or the more shallow areas (the tanning ledge and spa). Would you not need them in the shallow areas, because those areas will already be sparkly? Or do the shells show up better in the shallow areas? Sorry that I can't answer that for you.

I hope people can log on to answer for you before tomorrow. Good luck! Suz.

My PB said we could do the ledge & spa for 150! I think that's a great deal! Just wondering if I will miss it in the rest of the pool. How much can you see it I wonder?

You may want to ask the builder if they have any customers that would be willing for you to come by and see how it looks in a completed pool. I think most builders have a couple of customers they use for references.

The deeper the water, the less of the finish we see. On the stairs, benches and ledge we can see the details, but it fades very quickly. Adding the detail to the areas where the water is shallow, and not worrying about the deep seems like a smart move.

Sun:

I think you can do it with no problem.

However, I think you should know our PB only quoted the Shells for our pool at $300, and they were NOT chinzy with them either. The PT Sheen guys really threw them in, and it makes a big difference with finish. We did not use the tile markers and were pretty happy with the shells. It looks very natural. When:sun: the sun is fully out, it just makes the water sparkle. As much as you are spending on this pool, I'm surprised the PB didn't throw them in as a perk.

When he comes over, have a spiked drink with an umbrella in it. Maybe 2, if necessary! Sit him down, and use some of that southern charm on the guy and see if you can negotiate him down. I bet you can save some $$$.

If you need a good recipe, I have several.

I'm looking forward to seeing some water in this build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was quoted the same as Suzy $350.00 for the whole pool area and spa. Kelly's son told me the best way to apply it is: do not mix it in the plaster but only just sprinkle it on the surface of the plaster so you don't loose some under the plaster. :)

I am all over a pool tour!!!

I think I'll be happy with them just on the tanning shelf and spa. I'm worried about blue granite not being very pretty in the shallow areas, I think this will make me happy!

I'm pretty sure my PB thinks we are alcoholics, seems every time he pops in, someone is here & we are out toasting the pool :). I just might try to butter him up. Maybe some homemade baked goods . . .

Well, you do need them at least on the steps. The shells offset the grey tone on shallow water on steps, and do make it more interesting. They threw the shells in last on top of pebble install and left for day. The next day they came with the acid wash. Suddenly there were little stars everywhere where there was reflection from sun exposure. However, I think $150 is really high just for steps. Maybe some others can pop in with their experience on pricing of the shells. I just can't believe it varies this much between DFW and Houston area builders/PebbleTech Contractors. ****, it just doesn't make sense to me. It makes me think the PB company is taking a cut off the sale of some shells that the PT contractor throws in for a lower wholesale price. Someone has to know the true mark up price of a bag of the shells. Not sure it's the same type, but I decided to do a little research. There are several oother discussion threads out there concerning the price differentials on shells between builders.

Did you have the same PB as Suz? Isn't he the guy that is so prevalent out on the GardenWeb Pool links and information forums? Maybe instead of one drink, a full bottle of Patron in exchange? Isn't Tito's made in Texas? http://www.titosvodka.com/ I still believe in good ole TX charm and intervention! How could he resist? Is he the type that can be bribed....err charmed?

lol - I do have a stocked liquor cabinet! That was what my gut was telling me - I needed some sparkle for the shallowest areas. I went with a different builder than Suz, but I did interview hers and loved him - he was in my top two. For $150 I am getting the spa and tanning ledge. For some reason, it feels like a fair deal for me. I am sure that the builder is getting his fair share of an upcharge - but I wouldn't really expect him to give me something at cost. Though I sure wouldn't object if he did!!!!

UPDATE - we are getting our PebbleSheen done THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.