10' Intex pool with algae

NAUgrad2005

Aug 12, 2019
Boise, ID
Hello! I have a 10' Easy Set Intex pool that I'm battling algae with. I've tried shocking it with vinyl pool shock, replacing the filter cartridge, using a pool brush to sweep it toward the filter intake...nothing has worked. The worst part: I haven't even had a chance to use it yet since I'm having so many water issues! I can't remember what my last test strip readings were, but I can check it again tonight and post those. It's been fairly warm in Idaho in the last few weeks, but I haven't had issues like this in the past 2 years that I had a pool. Any advice is appreciated as I'm still pretty new at all this! I typically use 1-2 of the 1" chlorine tabs in a floater and supplement with baking soda. I don't know if I'm better off just draining it and starting over?

The first step is to get a proper FAS-DPD test kit — test strips are awful. The two most popular test kits on Trouble Free Pool are the TF-100 and the Taylor K2006C.

You don't need pool shock or chlorine tabs, all you need to clean your pool is liquid bleach. You could drain your pool and start all over, but it's a short-term solution that will likely come back until you learn proper pool chemistry.

Welcome to TFP!

TFP is all about you learning how to take care of your pool the easy way. Shocking is not a one time application of shock product, it is a process. You will need a good test kit to successfully perform it. See Test Kits Compared.

I suggest that you read some articles in Pool School.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process

A couple videos will also help you understand.

Note, the CYA video has important information. Since you've been using the trichlor tablets which add CYA, you need to know that information. Some CYA is good, too much can make it next to impossible to chlorinate because you need so much more chlorine than if it was lower.

Now, with all the above being information you need to know about, in your situation with a small seasonal pool, you may be better served by draining, cleaning, and refilling, and THEN following TFP guidelines for maintaining your water. The Seasonal Pools article tells you how to do it this way.

A proper test kit is essential to any pool, I think even seasonal pools. Those test strips are junk, you can just throw them out.

Since you have a small Intex pool with a stock pump and filter it would be easier to drain and refill the pool. Once it is clean and re-filled add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm and use liquid chlorine instead of pucks and powders. Even though you have a small pool, it would be best to get one of the recommended test kits. It will be much easier to maintain your pool when you have access to reliable test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.