Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My pool has 4 valves: cleaner, front skimmer, back skimmer, and main drain. When I use my suction vacuum and close the other three valves the main drain valve seems to let in air. I'm not 100% sure but I think it is that one because it seems to vibrate a little and seems a bit louder than the others. I think they are all about 12 years old. How hard is it to change these? Do I use the same type or is there a new type of valve I should be using? Should I replace all 4 at the same time or just replace the one having problems?

If it is difficult, I can call my pool guy but I'm sure he'll charge me more since I took over cleaning and chemicals in July.

Attachments

• pool_valves.jpg
    pool_valves.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 21
It appears that on 2 of the 4 valves they each have a union above and below the valve and on the other 2 it is only a union above the valve. Can you confirm if that black collar can rotate (don't have the pump running). Just rotate it slightly to determine if it is a collar.
Those types of valves are not repairable so you need to remove the whole valve and replace it. If 2 of them have those unions on both sides it should be relatively simple assuming you can purchase the same size and length of valve. You would need to purchase the mating half union as well unless you can save it from the valve you remove. It is hard to tell in the picture.
The other 2 you would need to cut the valve off of the bottom pipe. Then respace everything to match to the horizontal manifold (pipe).

There is a repairable valve, called a Jandy Never-Lube valve but they are more expensive and may be harder to find due to some high demand for pool equipment but they are out there. Could also try Amazon. See link here

It would be also easier to change out all 4 at the same time because you would need to rebuild that manifold above each valve.

My preference would be to replace each valve with a 2 way Jandy never lube valve and you would not need to worry about the unions because you can remove the internal parts from the top of the valve without having to remove the valve from the pipework. But that is more expensive and a little more time consuming to replumb everything. But in the long term you would not need to worry about changing the valves out again.

After zooming in, it appears all 4 valves are true union (unions on both ends). They can be disassembled. Not sure if replacement parts and seals are available.

If you are going to work on them, first it would be best to clean all the built up dirt off of them. Maybe use a water hose and a small brush to get them cleaned up. Be sure to clean a few inches either side of the union fittings to help keep dirt/grit out of the mating surfaces.

Long term, you may be better served replacing all of them with Jandy valve for the reasons cited by @HermanTX .

Reactions: HermanTX
@proavia thanks for the video. I could not clearly see 2 of the valves if they had unions below them. Then those type of ball valves can be repaired , assuming parts can be found. Lets see what the @ducttapekz finds on his review.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.