Updated- New owner ongoing questions

I don't know if I should start a new thread in a different place for this question or not-
Update the title as need be. This thread was a catchall about new ownership so it all fits. It's not like you're asking about a heater in a patio furniture thread. :)

I will assume this is a new pool so I'd direct this to the pool builder and let him have his team work on the problem.
I just wasn't sure because the heater seems to function fine, and the electrician was hired separate from the builder and he wired all the equipment- he wasn't a sub for the builder.

Sorry to be back with more questions so soon- Pool builder showed us how to clean the filter basket and since then we've done it twice this week, but both times as soon as I put it back in and turn it on again the basket immediately gets new bits of leaf debris and such in it and not a small amount. I'm guessing the lines from the skimmer baskets have quite a bit of built up debris? We've been using socks on the skimmer baskets since the beginning of the week so I don't think new debris should be getting in there of that size.

Do I just keep cleaning out the pump basket a couple times a day until this goes away or is this something to be concerned about? FWIW there is a TON of tree debris falling in the pool right now because we have a caterpillar infestation and they are eating the leaves of the trees sending bits flying down into the pool.

Nothing wrong with some stuff in the pump basket. I bet some debris is getting around the skimmer sock somewhere because debris as you describe can't stay in the pipe so it's new stuff being sucked passed.
That's good to know, I was imagining the pipe all clogged up with debris.

Once again I appreciate all the clueless questions as I get the hang of how all the various pieces work together!

Reactions: newdude
Once again I appreciate all the clueless questions as I get the hang of how all the various pieces work together!
If you dont ask and foul something up because you were unsure of something, we may have multiple issues to fix. And we will help fix those too. But it's far preferable for all parties to only have one fish to fry.

Do not hesitate to ask at any point. :)

Reactions: Hudsongirl
If you are leaving the pump on when emptying the skimmer baskets stuff just gets in there. Some people choose to have extra baskets so they can swap quickly for this reason.

If you are leaving the pump on when emptying the skimmer baskets stuff just gets in there. Some people choose to have extra baskets so they can swap quickly for this reason.
It never even occurred to me to turn the pump off when cleaning the skimmer baskets, but duh, that does make sense.

PS I called the electrician and he's gonna come by this week and take a look at the heat pump wiring to try to troubleshoot the pup tripping the breaker

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I accept the little crud getting to the filter when I remove the baskets for cleaning as collateral damage. :ROFLMAO:

It's never much. If its bigger like a small twig or leaf then it gets caught in the pump basket.

I accept the little crud getting to the filter when I remove the baskets for cleaning as collateral damage. :ROFLMAO:

It's never much. If it’s bigger like a small twig or leaf then it gets caught in the pump basket.
The pump thing is a realization to me also! I’ll turn them off going forward when emptying baskets - I end up getting small pollen and other gunk which is clogging up that small gasket in the SWG and gives me the flow error.

I am gonna swap out the cartridges in my filter as well because it happened a few times. I also just ordered the skimmer socks.

While yes I want a trouble free pool, what I really want is the cleanest pool ever lol

Update:

SWG is doing its magic, things are pretty honed in (til the temperature shifts on me) and FC is staying right around 7.5.

I checked the PH today and I went outside, white background, in person it looked dark red, but in this pic it's looking to me like this is high 7s? I don't need to mess with it until it goes to the bright pink shades indicating it's in the 8s even if it's not in the "ideal" range, right? How often should I expect to be adding acid to lower PH?

Still dealing with caterpillar fallout and patio construction (almost done)- leaves are raining down and so is frass (caterpillar poop) but Rambo, our pool robot, is working overtime keeping things pretty.

Electrician came out today and he said the breaker for the pool heater was a 40amp and the minimum on the heat pump label says 41.78. While running it was drawing about 25, but they draw more at startup so I insisted given it has tripped the breaker twice that it be upgraded to a 50 or 60 so he'll be out next week to get that done.

Reactions: newdude
don't need to mess with it until it goes to the bright pink shades indicating it's in the 8s even if it's not in the "ideal" range, right?
Yup. Any 7 is equally OK. Dose at 8+ and only to a high 7.

Try 4 drops for me and post that up. Sometimes it helps.
How often should I expect to be adding acid to lower PH?
Once your TA is near 60 (if it's not already), hardly ever with a northeast vinyl pool. I dosed MA once last year, just to appease the pool gods before a blowout party. I didn't need to, but was afraid of their wrath if I was disrespectful. :ROFLMAO:

Yup. Any 7 is equally OK. Dose at 8+ and only to a high 7.

Try 4 drops for me and post that up. Sometimes it helps.

Once your TA is near 60 (if it's not already), hardly ever with a northeast vinyl pool. I dosed MA once last year, just to appease the pool gods before a blowout party. I didn't need to, but was afraid of their wrath if I was disrespectful. :ROFLMAO:
This is with 4 drops of solution.

I was definitely under the impression lowering acid was more of a once a weekish thing, so good to know. Right now TA is around 100.
20240531_135514.jpg

I've seen qualitative pH assessments before like this - grabbed from a random TFP expert post I cannot remember where/when...

above 8.2 purple
8.0-8.2 purplish red
7.8 pinkish red with a hint of purple
7.6 red
7.4-7.5 red with an orange cast
7.2 orange
7.0 yellow orange
6.8 and below yellow

This is with 4 drops of solution
That looks more on scale to me, (and 7.8) but subjective tests be as they are and all. Lol.
I was definitely under the impression lowering acid was more of a once a weekish thing,
Plaster folks. Pay them no mind. You're on Easy St. Don't brag too much, it's rude. :)

• Haha
I do have another question. (shocking, I know) ...When I clean the pump filter the pool builder taught us to turn the pump off at the power switch, but then to also close both the lines from the bottom drains and both skimmer skimmer baskets while we open it to clean it. After looking at videos online I don't see anyone else closing the lines when cleaning the pump basket and I'm wondering if this is overkill if the power to the pump is shut off?

Edited to add I've also seen some videos where they use the air release valve on the cartridge filter to let the air out before restarting the pump and a bit after to let out trapped air, but we were not told to do this, so I'm not sure if this is a necessary step that got skipped in my instructions or if it's not a big deal. When we restart a small bit of air blows out the returns.

When I clean the pump filter the pool builder taught us to turn the pump off at the power switch, but then to also close both the lines from the bottom drains and both skimmer skimmer baskets while we open it to clean it
Is the equipment below the water level ? If so it'll flood when you open the pump.
Edited to add I've also seen some videos where they use the air release valve on the cartridge filter to let the air out before restarting the pump and a bit after to let out trapped air, but we were not told to do this,
That is for when you open the filter. Kill the pump and open the air valve to release any pressure. Once it's done hissing, you can open the filter. Opening the pump basket while it's hissing will likely speed up the process with a much bigger opening.

Then clean the filters, close it all up, prime the pump and release the air with the valve once the pump is running.
When we restart a small bit of air blows out the returns.
Yes it'll gurgle and burp for a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support