Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Well, after nearly two years of procrastinating and taking some friendly ribbing by @Katodude for not living in the 21st century, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Maytronics robot.
So, I will now be retiring Rita Hayward (aka Hayworth) into mothballs. Rita has been my trusty Hayward Aquanaut 400 Suction-Side Cleaner. She was a literal tank that I could not kill. But it’s now time for her to rest in peace.

I’ll only bring her out of mothballs if something goes really bad with the Maytronics unit and I have to send it in for repairs. I can only hope that my new Matronics Robot lives as long as Rita did (7 years).

Being on TFP for a while now, I had seen enough threads to know that I should direct my initial questions to Margaret at Marina Pool, Spa & Patio.

Man, trying to get a hold of her was a challenge because those folks are busy. But once I did, the hassles of busy signals, leaving messages, missing calls etc., was well worth it. She knows her stuff. Period….. We talked about the size and shape of my pool and what my requirements were.

My requirements were:
1. The unit HAD to have “Automation Mode” capability.
2. I wanted a caddy to accommodate the control unit and move and store the unit during those times when she was not in the pool.
3. I didn’t care about all of the Bluetooth/WiFi enabled features and gidgets and gadgets.

Well, once you want Automation Mode and a caddy, I discovered that you’re going to get all of the other bells and whistles, whether you want them or not.
The units that fit my requirements were:

1. Active 30i/S300i
2. Active 60/M600

Here are some things that I learned during my conversation with Margaret.

1. That the M400 and M500 have been replaced by the M600.

2. I also learned that the only difference between the Active 30i and S300i, Active 60 and M600, as well as the Active 20/S200 and Active 30/S300 is nothing more than color. The “Active’s” are lighter in color (light grey and blue) and the S or M series are darker in color (blue).

So now it was down to the Active 30i (S300i is out of stock) and the Active 60/M600. Here are the difference between the two sets.
1. The Active 60/M600 has a 3-year warranty versus 2-year for the Active30i/S300i
2. The suction rate for the Active 60/M600 is 5000 gallons an hour versus 3,735 gallons per hour (no big deal here).
3. The Active 60/M600 is “beefier.” It has a dual drive and a split brush. She said the Active 60/M600 will negotiate obstacles in the pool a bit better.

NOTE: One thing I really appreciated about Margaret at Marina. She does not try to “upsell” you. She genuinely seems completely interested in getting you the right robot for your pool, your requirements and your wallet. She is a real pleasure to deal with over the phone...

She noted that the Active 30i would be perfect for my requirements but I liked the 3-year warranty and the dual drive/split brush feature, so I opted for the Active 60. It was only $400.00 more and you do get a $75.00 rebate from Maytronics, so what the heck.

It was a breeze ordering over the phone and in less than an hour later, I received a shipping notification. Nice!!

Don’t forget… At Marina Pool, Spa & Patio, there are no shipping charges and if you live in the right state (which apparently I do at the moment), NO TAXES…. WooHoo :party:

A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE IF YOU ARE ON THE FENCE REGARDING THE PURCHASE OF A MAYTRONICS ROBOT.
I learned that supplies are dwindling rapidly.. The Maytronic’s are built in Israel and if you are up on current affairs, you can understand the problem. Between that issue and shipping backlog issues due to Covid-19, at some point very soon, these Robot's may not be had until the fall of 2021 or later. So if you’re thinking about purchasing one soon, you might want to “jump off that fence” and move out and grab your phone…. 🏃‍♂️ In fact, there are only a few Active 30i’s left in stock at Marina.

UPDATE: 5/27/2021
Well, my Maytronics Active 60 arrived via FedEx today.
I unboxed it, put the caddy together and got it into the pool for a test run.
Very impressive. First impressions of this robot are very positive. After watching this monster for awhile, I affectionately named it "Creighton." The way it moves and the apparent ruggedness of the unit reminds me of an M1 Abrams battle tank.
After a 1.5 hour run, I got it out of the pool and checked the filters. Yup, it's doing it's job alright.

Then I proceeded to download the iOS app, get it onto my WiFi network and set about to customizing the configurations, registering with Maytronics and completing warranty information and completing the rebate info.

The app so far seems to be very user friendly.

I decided to get the underwater camera out and dove in.
I put together a short video of Creighton at work for anyone who would prefer a real world demo versus watching the promo videos.

r.

UPDATE: 6/5/2021

1. I knew that I wanted to use the "Automation Feature". Since the Control Panel/Caddy lives on my patio, I needed to install a GFCI receptacle which is controlled via a Lutron Smart Switch. There was an inside receptacle opposite where I wanted to install the receptacle for the robot, so I set to work.
Here is my solution so I can use the Maytronics Automation Feature.
5D211AC3-C222-45D0-825B-58C097ABC4D3_1_105_c.jpeg 0FDBE60D-BE25-4336-9ECF-C3D5B6423966_1_105_c.jpeg

2. Since I leave "Creighton" in my pool 24x7 and utilize the built-in "Automation Mode" now, I didn't particularly like the control/low voltage power cable running across the patio and kool decking. Not only that, but It was somewhat of a trip hazard.
I decided to put that cable in a cord protector. This is the one that I determined should work out the best for me.

D1BEC6D7-7FF7-4FB8-AA05-9A4C3A5B1B88_1_105_c.jpeg B011DCC0-07C5-407F-874A-D6E7D211E472_1_105_c.jpeg

So far, I'm pleased with the result.

3. I may have solved a confliction that typically exists between leaving a surface bot and a Maytronics bot in the water 24x7. Here is a link to that thread.

r.

Last edited:
Well, well, well. Welcome to the 1990’s You finally got a robot.

Nuf, said
Yea, no thanks in part to you.. I now have both a surface robot, and a submarine robot on order. Not to mention a nuclear reactor control center in my back yard. Thanks. :p

Everytime I open my wallet, I have visions of @Katodude staring back at me. :laughblue:

My plan for this year was that I was going to keep my pool budget very low (like just buying MA), after the expeditures of 2018/19 and 2020. Well, so much for that idea. :rant:

Last edited:
Tell me about the surface robot??? Sounds like something I need in my life bc my husband refuses to cut down the palo verdes lol!
Sure... Here you go..

r.

Last edited:
Reactions: isrmomof3
Tell me about the surface robot??? Sounds like something I need in my life bc my husband refuses to cut down the palo verdes lol!
We have one and when it works it's excellent but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone who can make one of these with something resembling Maytronics' quality will corner the market. The surface skimmers almost uniformly (we've tried a couple) have propeller motors resembling toy boat motors and the propellers are similarly flimsy. Given that the big selling point is being solar powered, the electronics/motors need to be on the light-demand side, but for the cost I'd expect something a little more robust/durable. I don't have much confidence in the longevity of these units.

Reactions: isrmomof3
My Maytronics Active 60 robot arrived today.
I updated the original post above and included a video of the robot at work.
Thanks...
r..

Wooohoooo. Now you can relax finally and sit back and enjoy your pool.

Wait, no, first you need to buy the FC sensor install that, hook it up the electronics. Discover that you did it wrong, then do it all over again. Change some plumbing around, because you discovered something really minor.

Then you can sit back, relax and enjoy your pool.

• Haha
Reactions: MyAZPool
Wooohoooo. Now you can relax finally and sit back and enjoy your pool.

Wait, no, first you need to buy the FC sensor install that, hook it up the electronics. Discover that you did it wrong, then do it all over again. Change some plumbing around, because you discovered something really minor.

Then you can sit back, relax and enjoy your pool.
:laughblue:
@Katodude
I'm in a wait and see mode as far as FC Sensor's go. No need for plumbing redo's as I thought ahead a bit during the last re-plumb project and I now have two spare and capped 2" x 2" x 1/2" threaded tees and one spare capped 2" x 2" x 3/4" tee in the sensor manifold. Whew....

Just added a 4-20mA flow sensor (FlowVis Digital) and an AC Current Power Energy Meter/Panel w/ RS-485 interface, so I would like to think that I am done for awhile.

Now that Creighton is onboard and doing great and I no longer have to drive a suction-side cleaner, I just completed an overall reconfiguration of Feature Circuits, Circuit Groups (macros), Pump Speeds and Schedules. Hopefully, I should be saving me some $'s in energy cost. I'm only running 1200 RPM (30 GPM) for 8 hours a day for the IntelliChlor and 700 RPM (18 GPM) for 16 hours a day.

Plenty of time now for :paddle: :p
r.
EDIT: Just one question... Where the heck is "Ariel"????

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the active 30 from them a cpl weeks ago. Great purchase. Love the new basket design compared to my old Z5.

They have a rebate going on…

Last edited:
Reactions: Jill F and MyAZPool
Just posted a couple of updates to the original post above.
Thanks...
r..

Thanks @MyAZPool for this thread. After reading, reading, and more reading in this forum for over a month, I just ordered the Active 60 from Margaret at Marina. They are in stock and she's shipping it out today. The entire process was easy and took only minutes start to finish.
I'm over the moon excited and can't thank all of the experts here at TFP for their careful reviews and helpful advice.
Also thanks to @mrcarcrazy for posting the rebate info. $75 rebate on this model is GREAT!
Now to think of a new robot name!

Last edited:
  • Love
UPDATE:
I just received my $75.00 rebate in the form of a pre-paid VISA card today. :goodjob:
Considering the discounted prices at Marina Pool, Spa and Patio + how well this robot performs + the $75.00 rebate from Maytronics, the purchase of this robot has really been a win for me all around..

The only regret that I have is that I did not move on this much improved method of pool cleaning a whole lot sooner.
r.

UPDATE:
Just noticing my Maytronics working away on one of the security cams and couldn't help but thinking....
God, I love my Maytronics Active-60 Robot!!

I sure am glad I took other's advice here and "took-the-plunge" (No pun) :)

One of the best things I've ever done for that "Cement Pond" in the back yard.
The pool has never been cleaner!
r.

Looks like your 2 year warranty is expired. Cross your fingers that the motor doesn’t die soon. Lots of problems with the brushed motors, water intrusion, etc. They work great, but hopefully it lasts!

Looks like your 2 year warranty is expired. Cross your fingers that the motor doesn’t die soon. Lots of problems with the brushed motors, water intrusion, etc. They work great, but hopefully it lasts!
@Apsuhead
@Katodude is correct. I have a 3 year warranty on my Maytronics Active-60
If it dies after that?
Well, then there is an authorized Maytronics repair facility about 5 miles down the road. I'll have my Active-60 down there the next day and get her repaired.

If repair is not fiscally sound, then I'll have a new one on the way asap. My Active-60 has spoiled me. I'd rather fill in my pool with dirt than live without a Maytronics robot. ;)
I understand that the newer M600 line now has a 4-year warranty!
Thanks...
r.

p.s. Thanks for the credit card tip @Katodude. I'll give that a try if the need arises. :goodjob:

Great. I got lucky and my motor died just before the warranty expired. The replacement motor would have been close to the cost of a new robot. Hopefully both of our motors last a long time

So I am evaluating a new approach.

I bought a Seagull SE (it was cheap, about $150) and I use it for daily cleaning. It’s easier than dumping in the M500 with cords etc. It’s like a light clean in between the big jobs. This way I only run the M500 about once or twice a week. The Betta keeps a lot of debris from not dropping to the floor anyway. The SE is also mediocre but I did not expect much.

The issue with the Aiper is it has already failed twice (service has been decent). But I just think they are not made to last (to @JoyfulNoise point nothing is anymore). So my conclusion is to play the warranty game better. Use it to my advantage. Normally I dont buy extended warranties they are usually a suckers bet, but for something that you pretty much know is going to fail it might be a good idea.

My new idea it to buy a Aiper Seagull Pro from Amazon for $700 ($750 plus a coupon right now). Add the extended 2 year warranty for $59. When it breaks in the first year Aiper takes care of the fix. In year 2 when it breaks, I get a $700 gift certificate back from the 3rd party warranty provider. So about every 18 months I get a new robot. Amortized that is about $45 a year for a robot.

So since the manufacturers plan for failure, I will as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.