Poly 60 and copper

186logic

Aug 6, 2019
NY
I used Poly 60 for the first time on 6/29. First the initial recommended dose on day one and a weekly maintenance dose on 7/6. It’s done an amazing job clearing up the nuisance bottom algae on the gunite, but now I’m getting copper readings for the first time ever. .1 on 7/2 and .4 today. Poly 60 is supposed to be copper free, so I’m wondering what’s going on. Pool is crystal clear.

Every year I open pool around Memorial Day and don’t have a problem until about late June. It gets progressively worse until closing.

This was 3 years ago and presumably for years before that, per your own words.

Whenever you decide to take control of your pool, we will be happy to show you how.

Take care.

Ah, yes. If you want to play on our playground you can’t play on anyone else’s!
No. It's: "If you want our advice then you're going to give us the information we ask of you." Since the information we ask for is test results you got yourself from a proper test kit, that is your option. Take it or leave it.

Complaining about how TFP is run and trying to argue your view isn't doing a thing to fix your water. I don't know what you feel you are accomplishing with your posts, I cannot think of any time where burning bridges with people who are well versed in water care is the best way to get help with water care.

It’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for them.

No. It's: "If you want our advice then you're going to give us the information we ask of you." Since the information we ask for is test results you got yourself from a proper test kit, that is your option. Take it or leave it.

Complaining about how TFP is run and trying to argue your view isn't doing a thing to fix your water. I don't know what you feel you are accomplishing with your posts, I cannot think of any time where burning bridges with people who are well versed in water care is the best way to get help with water care.

It’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for them.
You’ve conveniently neglected to address this, though:

Please explain to me how two independent and closely correlated tests over the time frame given indicate anything but a reasonably accurate result? It would be quite impossible from an actuarial standpoint.

I don't need to address it. What you think is or isn't impossible doesn't matter at all. I won't accept test strip or pool store data when giving advice, that's the beginning and end of it. You don't get input on that.

Well I've wasted enough of my time here. Good luck with everything.

You’ve conveniently neglected to address this, though:

Please explain to me how two independent and closely correlated tests over the time frame given indicate anything but a reasonably accurate result? It would be quite impossible from an actuarial standpoint.
Selectively ignoring questions and passive aggressive replies aren’t the best strategies to attract new members. It’s a form of bullying that will work on some and I suppose it’s the type of structure that has always been fostered in here. Who would have thought in a pool forum!

20 years of bad testing and algae and you think TFP is passive aggressive?:laughblue:
I think you mean 20 yrs of great clarity and some algae on the sides. Seems to be a spate of selective listening in here.:laughblue:
A lot of the responses in here are textbook passive aggressive.
Why not just be up front and say you need to buy our test kit in order to get a response from us like big boys would?

I think you mean 20 yrs of great clarity and some algae on the sides. Seems to be a spate of selective listening in here.:laughblue:
Why not just be up front and say you need to buy our test kit in order to get a response from us like big boys would?
yeah, 20 years of algae. like we both said.

if you follow the methods here you have NO algae, or know how to get rid of it if you slip up.

everybody (admins, mods, and regular old posters like me) does say get one of the two test kits, one is on Amazon and even some pool stores sell it.

this site doesn't "sell" the test kits, but it requires you to use one if you want help with your 20 year algae problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rainy Saturday so why not join this dumpster fire? So lemmee see, original question was using Poly 60, not using any copper based products, Leslie’s for testing, why is there copper in the pool.

I got three options for you:
1. the Poly 60 label is wrong;
2. The Leslie’s copper tests were wrong; or
3. Your water chemistry is jacked and it’s dissolving something made of copper that the water is in contact with.

Let’s go with door #3 — do you have a heater? If so, what kind is it? How much did it cost? Would you rather buy a decent test kit or a new heater?

Rainy Saturday so why not join this dumpster fire? So lemmee see, original question was using Poly 60, not using any copper based products, Leslie’s for testing, why is there copper in the pool.

I got three options for you:
1. the Poly 60 label is wrong;
2. The Leslie’s copper tests were wrong; or
3. Your water chemistry is jacked and it’s dissolving something made of copper that the water is in contact with.

Let’s go with door #3 — do you have a heater? If so, what kind is it? How much did it cost? Would you rather buy a decent test kit or a new heater?
Ah, something useful, kinda…thankyou.
Now I do have a heater, but why all of a sudden would it show copper when same tests showed none for 20 yrs prior with the same exact heater and equipment?
I suspect #1 or the Poly 60 has interacted with something.
Leslie’s testing showed a progressive increase as described initially

It's just as equally likely that Leslie's test is in error. We've seen that literally thousands of times. If you have another pool store nearby, take a sample to them as well and see what they say.

As for the whole TFP issue, you're like asking for Camaro tuning advice on a Mustang forum.

This is a teaching forum, not an arguing forum.

You seem to be unable to listen to the teaching but revel in the argument.......that's not what we do on this forum.

There are plenty of arguing forums on the net so perhaps you would feel more comfortable there. TFP really has nothing further to offer you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.