Inline chlorinator and THANK YOU

odelay101

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2021
New York
Question below, but first, a huge thank you to the incredible community here at TFP. We bought a house with a pool last summer. We somehow managed to survive half a season using pucks, not knowing that we needed to backwash our DE filter, and without a test kit or working filter pressure gauge. A few weeks ago, I found this website trying to figure out why I was getting dust at the bottom of my pool. Dead algae of course!

Thanks to you all, I have now brought my chlorine up to the right level for our high CYA, found the hidden algae colonies inside our light fixture, properly cleared out our filter, and acquired the simple tools and chemicals I need to feel superior to the snake oil salesman down at the pool store. Still need to replace water to get our CYA down to a more reasonable level, but otherwise, our pool is near perfect thanks to you.

The pool school articles and old forum posts have answered the thousand questions I've had to date, but I now have one where I have found conflicting advice on the site: how do I set my Hayward canister inline chlorinator now that I will only be using it on vacations or if my CYA ever actually gets low? I've seen some recommendations to set it to zero and some recommendations to set it to full. Intuitively, full seems better to avoid stagnant water in the canister, but I don't totally know how the circulation works through that piece of the plumbing. And in either case, do I need to do anything with the puck dregs and highly chlorinated water that are still in there?

Thank you!

I don’t think it really matters what it’s set to if the tablets are removed. The only thing I will caution is to never put a different type of chlorine in it. :)

Reactions: Bperry
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

full

I have the Pentair Rainbow 320 that most pool owners have been "gifted" as part of their pool
build. I leave mine fully open and empty of tabs unless, as mentioned, it's vacation time. It sits in
the sun for a good part of the day so I like to have water moving through it. It'd clear out the dregs
you mentioned the easy way. Someone who has a Hayward will hopefully come by and give you a
more precise answer!

Sounds like you’re doing well managing your pool. Congrats! Do us a favor and fill out your
signature (see mine below & others), it helps us help you without having to ask all the basics
about your setup. Please also add the test kit you're using. Glad you’re here!

I have a Hayward In-line Chlorine. I just leave it.... once I don't need tablets anymore I remove the tablets and just leave as it was.... I guess it ends up full open most of the time.

I have a Hayward In-line Chlorine. I just leave it.... once I don't need tablets anymore I remove the tablets and just leave as it was.... I guess it ends up full open most of the time.
This. I'm debating having the spouse just cut it out from the plumbing.

With apologies for the delay in getting back on here, thanks so much to everyone for the responses. I decided to go with full open for now an will report back if that causes it to launch into space or anything. Now, I am debating whether to leave it as future vacation fallback or remove it to get rid of the flow restriction. Would be inclined toward the latter if I were a better plumber...

@Lilypad - Thanks for the heads up. Signature added!

Reactions: AK- and Lilypad
With apologies for the delay in getting back on here, thanks so much to everyone for the responses. I decided to go with full open for now an will report back if that causes it to launch into space or anything. Now, I am debating whether to leave it as future vacation fallback or remove it to get rid of the flow restriction. Would be inclined toward the latter if I were a better plumber...

@Lilypad - Thanks for the heads up. Signature added!
I was debating the same thing... but this summer have been unusually rainy and I have been using tablets to recoup diluted CYA... in the end it is just matter of postponing the decision

I pulled mine out. I just connected the out side of the "in" line (where it connected to Chlorinator) to the saddle for the "out" side of the out line.

Said another way, disconnect the "in" line from the Chlorinator and remove the chlorinator and the out line. Then connect the "in" line to the out saddle.

Don't have pic, but until I can redo plumbing, it kept me going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.