How do you measure / dose your liquid chlorine?

I don't have a link handy, but we have one of those Perfect Pour 1oz flasks for our bleach. The screw-on caps both split pretty quickly. We ended up finding a supplier of that style of bottle and ordering a bag of caps. Polyethylene dosing bottles are available from various industrial packaging supply companies. You might have to buy 10 to make the shipping worthwhile, but much cheaper than the one-off price through that famous online bookstore that seems more like a bazaar these days. Seems like a natural for TF-TestKits to stock.

I don't have a link handy, but we have one of those Perfect Pour 1oz flasks for our bleach. The screw-on caps both split pretty quickly. We ended up finding a supplier of that style of bottle and ordering a bag of caps. Polyethylene dosing bottles are available from various industrial packaging supply companies. You might have to buy 10 to make the shipping worthwhile, but much cheaper than the one-off price through that famous online bookstore that seems more like a bazaar these days. Seems like a natural for TF-TestKits to stock.
Hmmm. I wonder if I have any caps that fit in my container cap graveyard...

Yes! TFTestkits could stock these!

My caps split also. Would you mind sharing the name of the supplier of those caps please?

Indeed my caps split as well, the cap off the gallon chlorine bottle I fill it with fits the large side perfect, I replaced the small one with something I had here, dont remember what is was off of sorry.
I too would like the link for the caps.

Thanks. I found them on Amazon, about 4x the cost in Canada. I'm in the US often, but I don't want to wait a couple weeks. :)

I found another branded as "Shotstigo" that is the same thing, and equivalent pricing.
They are commonly known as "Twin Neck Bettix Bottles" and I got a bunch of them from USPlastic.com a few years ago for a food business, but you are correct that I paid about 4X the listed cost to get them landed in Canada.
With a hot tub, you don't need food grade, and your best bet may be to buy some fuel stabilizer at Canadian Tire, as they use those bottles (use the stabilizer in your car etc. and then rinse the bottle well!).
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/auto.../fuel-stabilizers-small-engine-additives.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are commonly known as "Twin Neck Bettix Bottles" and I got a bunch of them from USPlastic.com a few years ago for a food business, but you are correct that I paid about 4X the listed cost to get them landed in Canada.
With a hot tub, you don't need food grade, and your best bet may be to buy some fuel stabilizer at Canadian Tire, as they use those bottles (use the stabilizer in your car etc. and then rinse the bottle well!).
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/auto.../fuel-stabilizers-small-engine-additives.html
That's where I originally got the idea.. sure wouldn't want any of that residue in my tub though.. I'll pay for nice and clean.

I have a 1,893 L (500 US Gal) tub. Over time, I have gotten to know how much chlorine my tub needs with regular usage so I just keep a set of plastic measuring cups (1/2 cup, 1/3 cup etc. size) handy beside the tub so when I get out of the tub I pour out roughly what I need into one of those cups, toss it in the tub, circulate a bit and call it good. On days I don't use the tub, I just go out and throw in a different amount which I know from experience is approximately what's usually needed to get the FC level up to 6 or 7 ppm on non use-days and again, call it good. Once in a while, I do a test to see what my FC levels are at just to make sure I'm keeping it in the good range and it's almost always is in the 3 - 6 ppm range where I want it to be. If I need to be more precise with my measurements, I have a set of graduated cylinders on hand to precisely measure out liquid chlorine or muriatic acid doses.

More interestingly, I've been working on a system where I use a speed controllable dose pump to inject chlorine directly into the circulation/heater line just downstream of the heater at the point where the ozonator used to inject its ozone into the system. The dose pump is controlled by a WiFi controlled Sonoff switch that I can program to run for a set number of seconds and then automatically shut off. By varying the length of time I program the WiFi switch to run the dose pump and by varying the speed at which the dose pump runs, I can fine-tune the system so it will inject enough chlorine to raise the tub's FC level by 2 ppm each time I cycle the dose pump. The Sonoff switch has an app that allows me to control it from my mobile devices so when the system is operational, I'll simply have to press a button on my cell phone or tablet screen to inject enough Chlorine to raise the tub's FC level by 2 ppm. If I want to raise it by 4 or 6 ppm I just need to cycle the dose pump another time or two.

The Sonoff switch unit I'm using actually has 4 separate switches that I can control from the app so I'm using the other two to control the two jet pumps by sending a 12V control signal to the pump relays. The app will be programmed so that when I push a button on the screen, one of the pumps will be turned on for 3 minutes (or however long I choose) and then automatically shut off. Pushing another button will do the same thing with the second jet pump.

The beauty of this system is that I'll be able to operate it from anywhere I have cell phone reception. When I want to dose the tub with some chlorine, I'll just open the app and push the dose pump button however many times I need to (e.g. twice to raise FC by 4 ppm). Then, after a few minutes I'll just have to push the two jet pump buttons once each so they'll run and circulate the newly injected chlorine for 3 minutes and then turn off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.