Help with unexplained pH rise.

BWLutz

May 1, 2021
Fresno, CA
Long time listener, first time caller.

I re-finished my 13,000 gal pool in November with a Wet Edge aggregate finish. Six months later the acid demand seems to be through the roof. I'm using 60oz a week to maintain the alkalinity and pH. Over the last few days I've done a series of test (Taylor k-2005) to try and figure out what is going on.

April 30th 2pm
FC - 5
pH - off the charts high. 8.4?
TA - 90
CYA - 35
Temp - 75F
CSI - .89

Added 64oz of 14.5% MA

April 30th 4:40pm
pH - 7.5
TA - 70
CSI - -.12

This is pretty much the change I was expecting with the MA treatment.

May 1 8:50AM
FC - 5
pH - 7.6
CSI - -.02

Not losing any CL overnight and a reasonable pH rise. At 930am my pool pump cycle starts up and at 10AM my stennar pump adds my daily dose of Kemtek chlorinating liquid (10%) approximately 33oz.

May 1 1230pm
FC - 8
pH - 8.0
TA - 90
CSI - .48

I'm maybe adding a bit too much CL but as the days get longer and hotter I will shortly need that much. But why is the pH spiking? I didn't think liquid CL affected pH. I know it can cause an increase but then readjust as it is consumed. I dont think it's aeration as my TA is rising as well. Could there be something with the relative new finish? Is my CL tank contaminated? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post the CL, pH, and TA numbers at the end of the day but I expect it will 5, 8.0, 90.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.