Quick review: New Intex Saltwater Generator system

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
I finally gave up on my 1-year old Intex SWG that just wasn't generating chlorine any more and bought a new one.
The new one doesn't have the copper generator. This is great since most people just disconnected it anyway.
Instead it has a flow measurement device where the copper electrode used to be.
Instead of the copper, it has a new ECO (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) electrode that is supposed to break down organic compounds. This sounds like a neat enhancement. I'll be interested to see if it does anything for my pool.

So far I love it. My chlorine is finally staying stabilized with about 4-5 hour run time just like the old one used to do (when it worked).

ECO has been discussed in other threads. It's nothing more than the catalytic decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. The hope is that the ECO generator will create hydroxyl radicals (OH•) that are good at destroying some types of organic compounds. How efficient the cell is at creating hydroxyl's and how good they are at destroying organic waste in pool water has yet to be determined. ECO's are deployed in some water treatment facilities as Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOP's) but waste water treatment and residential pools are different beasts.

You could always try running it for a while and then disconnecting it to see if there's any measurable changes in your water tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.