Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0011L indicator?

1. Back To Top    #1

R-0011L indicator?

On the R-0011L Calcium indicator liquid is the fluid kinda thick or has my gone bad? I don't rememberwhat it was like when I first got it. I've only had it about 6 months and has been stored in a cabinet in my garage, so it has not been exposed to sunlight or in extreme temp's.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: R-0011L indicator?

My kit is only a month old and that is the way mine is so I hope it is not bad.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

3. Back To Top    #3

I left my kit outside for a couple of days and had a similar observation. The temps were lows in the mid-40's to highs in the mid-60's; mid-60 when I did the test. The indicator came out sort of syrup-like and pooled on the bottom. Hadn't seen that before. I went ahead and did the test and it worked same as usual, meaning I got the result I expected. I did, however, have to mix it a little longer before starting the test.

Was your garage temperature in that range by chance? Or is it heated? If it's heated, none of this is relevant, of course.

I assumed that this was just a temperature effect on the viscosity, but that the test was still okay. But I'm curious what others say. I don't know much about these things.

Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

4. Back To Top    #4

gtm

My garage is not heated but stay's fairly stable in temp. Running from the 40's in the winter to the 80's in the summer. I do have the same results that you do. It will pool in the bottom and extra mix time is needed.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The R-0011L is pretty thick even at room temperature. To my knowledge, the viscosity is irrelevant to the accuracy of the test.

As an aside, I would rather see your test kit in a controlled environment (inside) rather than in the garage. I believe it increases the longevity of all the chemistry.

(PS - I guess if I was completely candid, my first choice for test kit storage would be a 450 degree oven.......my refill business would be phenomenal!! )
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Taylor stresses that stable temperatures are important for long term storage of reagents. Recommended storage temperatures are between 36°–85° F, with lower temperatures being better. However, you don't want the temperature fluctuating a lot. For example a test kit should not be stored in the fridge and taken out and put back in regularly. That would be worse than storing it at the higher end of the temperature range. See this Taylor document for more information.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Dave, viscosity was probably the wrong word. I was thinking about how quickly it would mix with the pool water. There's very likely a better description for what I was seeing.

Jason, I think we're at the low end of the proper storage range, but I haven't read the Taylor link that you cited. I just wonder if having the reagent at the lower end of the range might affect the mixing time. Just thinking out loud, though.

SCCS - listen to these guys. I'm a rookie! Just trying to help.
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

8. Back To Top    #8

When it's cold, calcium indicator will fall to the bottom of the vial like bb's and stick to the bottom as you try to swirl it. As has been mentioned, storing the kit and doing the testing indoors will prevent that.

9. Back To Top    #9

Remember that to do this test properly takes a LOT of swirling (about 20 seconds after the calcium buffer, enough swirling to mix the indicator, and 20 -30 seconds between EACH drop of titrant)! This is one test that a magnetic stirrer really helps speed up!