Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water temp question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Water temp question.

Hello all! It is getting ready to get cold here in sunny South Carolina. They are predicting a low of 9 degrees for Saturday morning. I am planning on insulating my pipes and skimmer. We have kept our AGP open all winter so far with the pump running 24/7 on low speed. Our current pool water temp is 44 degrees. Any other suggestions to keep pipes from freezing? I put this in the Chem 101 because it seemed pretty simple, but yet good to know. Thanks, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water temp question.

Hey,

I just returned from New York where I saw some ponds being kept open (not freezing over) simply by running a pump that kept the water moving. I saw the same thing in New Hampshire a few weeks ago.

Running your pump during this upcoming cold couple of night should be all you need.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

At very low temperatures you will eventually have a problem, even if the pump remains running. But if it is only that cold for one night and the electricity remains on, you should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. It is only supposed to be that cold for one day. After that a couple of more nights in the low 20's and then back to normal. Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter