508 Errors yesterday, still super slow today

No, actually you were on a pretty powerful server. It was more than enough to handle 5 - 10 sites like this. But something went whacko somewhere, and the host refused to listen to me, that it was not the forum software causing it.

No, actually you were on a pretty powerful server. It was more than enough to handle 5 - 10 sites like this. But something went whacko somewhere, and the host refused to listen to me, that it was not the forum software causing it.
Sure, sure.... IT guys have been telling me stories like this for years;)

The "new posts" feature is non-op for me this morning, although I know it can be a database intensive process so perhaps the new host is putting some undue SQL load limits on you now?

Actually...after about 15 seconds or so..it came up just now, so it's working, but it's very slow it seems.

If you don't mind us asking...what was the old problematic host? I've sysadmin'd lots of forums over the years (I'm an oldschool guys that dates back to the BBS era) and have been through my share of hosts, including a few bad ones, and a few downright miserable ones that wanted to not only screw their customers with promises they had no intention or capabilities to keep, but then tried to hold their data hostage and make escape difficult or near impossible. (*Cough cough, GoDaddy*)

Well we all know they lie to you, but I can assure you, I don't. :p Here is the basics on the old server.

Quad-Core 3.3GHz E3-1230-V2 Ivy Bridge Xeon 8MB cache
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Total processors: 8
Primary HD: 1000GB SATAIII
Secondary HD: 3000GB SATAIII
Bandwidth: 5TB (5,000GB) Transfer / 100Mbps Port

The "new posts" feature is non-op for me this morning, although I know it can be a database intensive process so perhaps the new host is putting some undue SQL load limits on you now?

Actually...after about 15 seconds or so..it came up just now, so it's working, but it's very slow it seems.

If you don't mind us asking...what was the old problematic host? I've sysadmin'd lots of forums over the years (I'm an oldschool guys that dates back to the BBS era) and have been through my share of hosts, including a few bad ones, and a few downright miserable ones that wanted to not only screw their customers with promises they had no intention or capabilities to keep, but then tried to hold their data hostage and make escape difficult or near impossible. (*Cough cough, GoDaddy*)

The old host was Hivelocity. I had the server for three years, without issues. I think there was some bad memory, or a problem on cloudlinux somewhere, and they did not want to believe me, so of course they always blame the (forum) software.

The old host was Hivelocity. I had the server for three years, without issues. I think there was some bad memory, or a problem on cloudlinux somewhere, and they did not want to believe me, so of course they always blame the (forum) software.
basic human nature is to blame someone else. Through the years I have acquired quite a taste for Florsheim Shoes due to the number of times my blaming someone else has placed my foot squarely in my mouth.

Been there...Netfirms. Had one of my forums on there for about 6 months, often suffered unexplainable outages that would last from a few seconds to 10-20 minutes (to which of course they could never explain, blame the software same as you) and then eventually it got to the point where they considered the forum load (which was a pittance honestly, it was a new forum still growing) "excessive" and then started throttling my account.

I bailed out to 1&1 and am happy now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah but I have been on this for three years, and never had any real issues. They can't really throttle it cause it is a dedicated server, not a shared or VPS. Like I said, I think it was a bad memory stick, something going on with cloud linux, or possible a mysql issue on their end.

So I'm sure you've got a long list of what to put back in for the mods to the forum software, but the Advanced Search has obvious problems where the type-in fields aren't aligned, there are spurious messages on the first screen and a second intermediate screen. Just so you know to add this to the list of things to eventually address.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.