Algae Dead But Not Yet Clear

I've been maintaining FC above 31 for almost 24 hours, and above 28 for a few days before. Very little, if any change in the clarity of the water. I'm really starting to wonder about the filter. Is there any way to tell if filtering is the problem? I'm brushing and vacuuming. Should I be vacuuming to waste? I wouldn't think so during a SLAM.

It would be better to vacuum to waste when you can. The less organic matter in there the better.

When I get a decent amount of rain I never just drain it, I backwash or give a quick vac to waste. I have great circulation in my pool, whatever gets by the skimmer settles in a 2-3 foot circle in the middle of the pool, I usually get it with the hand skimmer but the vac is so much easier.

I've figured that every inch of water adjustment is 160 gallons (6700gal / 42" depth), or just about 2% of my capacity. That way I can use pool math to compensate my chemistry if needed' but never have in reality.

Dom

Mike, do you know how old the sand is in your filter? We changed our sand in May, and it really helped. Actually, the pictures you posted look almost exactly like what our pool looked like back in May. We also inherited a pool that had not been closed/covered for the winter. It was dark green/black with tree limbs and even salamanders. Keep doing what you're doing. You WILL get there.

I have no idea how old the sand is. My guess is 5+ years old. I've just vac'd to waste and reupped my FC. With the rain, it was actually a little over so I didn't need to refill. I think, though it could just be my imagination, that I'm starting to see the pattern come through on the bottom. By tomorrow morning if I'm still not sure, I'll probably change the sand and see if that helps. As I've been vacuuming, the pressure hasn't been changing at all, staying at a steady 14psi which is normal. Thanks for all the optimistic responses. They help a lot.

Mikemod, you are super close...in the tiny profile pic you will see my black water pool transformation from black to blue...trust that this works ;)

At this stage of your slam, filtering is super important to finish off. Have you been able to run the filter 24/7, and are you backwashing the filter every time is gets about 25% above clean pressure?

Eg. My hayward sand filter in my particular set up runs around 16 psi clean (it would be a bit lower if I didn't have a pool skim on one of the returns.) I give it a good backwash (a good few minutes, eg. Not just until the water in the viewing bubble is clear) when it gets to about 20 psi. Then I put it on rinse for 15-20 seconds to help settle the bed.

That sand has NOT been changed since the swamp recovery and still polishes my water like a diamond...sand rarely actually needs to be changed.

A few more days of full on filtering and maintaining your shock/slam level and I swear you'll be swimming ;)

Swampwoman, thanks. My pressure hasn't changed at all during the whole SLAM staying solid at 14psi. I'm still keeping chlorine up but I bought some DE tonight that I'm going to use tomorrow. My guess is that it will clear up after the DE. I've chlorined the water to death and I have 0 change after a week or so of above shock level water. So we will see.

Mikemod. You are in the same spot as me, I'm just about a month further along than you in the process. I slammed and slammed as well and killed the algae, but just can't get the dead algae out of the pool, so it's clean, just milky all the time. The thing I can't figure out from postings on this board is if the shock levels should dissolve the dead algae completely or if you have to vacuum it out. I've been vacuuming for a month and it just blows back into the pool. I've vacuumed to waste and it just creeps back in. At this point I just swim like normal, though would also like to know "exactly how to get the dead algae out of the pool"?

it has been getting a bit clearer over the past month with DE and vacuuming, but I'm certain now it will take all season to get crystal clear. Keep at it, but just know if you slow down on the bleach, brushing or vacuuming, it can and will get out of control again.

Another thing that I just added recently which I believe is what is actually clearing it up is a skimmer sock. Cost me 5 dollars for a pack of 5 and it works wonders. I'd get this ASAP.

you can do this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cobblucas, our issues sound identical. I'm getting ready to add the DE right now. But now I'm not so sure it will help if it hasn't helped you much. What is your CYA and CH? Have you tried a clarifier? I'm interested in what the opinions here are on clarifiers. I'm pretty sure I have particles blowing back in when I vacuum. I'll try to skimmer sock too. Swimming season is nearly over here. My pool has been swim-able for a while and the kids have enjoyed it even if its not crystal clear. Though, the rain we are having has really put a damper on things. We've nearly every day for 3 weeks and have rain on the forecast every day for the next 10 days.

I'm gonna try the DE and skimmer sock. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll just have a cloudy pool.

Did you ever get a chance to inspect your sand filter or deep clean the sand? Have you performed an OCLT? This will tell you if organics are still in the water. Also, can you post a new set of test results and a picture looking down on the stairs? I would give the skimmer sock and DE a few days before taking any other measures. I for one am not totally against clarifiers...sometimes they can help get you over the hump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.