Three way Jandy Valve

Pool in Carolina Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2007
Happy New Year to everyone. I broke the knob off my Jandy valve while removing it (one of my skimmers is not pulling any water unless I close off the main drain and the other skimmer). The broken piece of the knob is stuck down inside the diverter assembly so I need a new assembly. My pump also will not prime which I think is due to air being pulled in from the broken knob on top of the valve.

Pool Center sells a non-positive and positive kit. This valve is not a Never Lube valve just the older gray colored 3 way. Do I need the positive or non-positive seal?

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_valves_jandy_3way.htm

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

If you are using the valve for anything other than solar heating you probably want the positive seal version. Non-sealing valves are often used on solar systems to allow the solar system to drain even when the valve is in the off position. I don't know of any other reason you would want a non-sealing valve.

JasonLion said:
If you are using the valve for anything other than solar heating you probably want the positive seal version. Non-sealing valves are often used on solar systems to allow the solar system to drain even when the valve is in the off position. I don't know of any other reason you would want a non-sealing valve.

Jason, this valve is used to turn the main drain off/on. I am not familiar with the difference in the posititive/non-positive versions thus the question. The positive seal version is roughly twice the price but if that is what I need that is what I will get.

Thanks,

A positive seal valve will not allow any water to go through the pipe that is turned off (at least when one pipe is fully turned off). A non-positive seal valve will allow a small amount of water through even when the the pipe is "turned off". In some situations this doesn't really matter, in others it is important. For a main drain vs. skimmer selection it probably isn't a big deal either way.

The positive seal replacement part appears to upgrade the valve to never-lube, while the traditional gray valves need to be lubed. That is probably where the price difference is coming from.

JasonLion said:
A positive seal valve will not allow any water to go through the pipe that is turned off (at least when one pipe is fully turned off). A non-positive seal valve will allow a small amount of water through even when the the pipe is "turned off". In some situations this doesn't really matter, in others it is important. For a main drain vs. skimmer selection it probably isn't a big deal either way.

The positive seal replacement part appears to upgrade the valve to never-lube, while the traditional gray valves need to be lubed. That is probably where the price difference is coming from.

Thanks for the info. I am ordering one now (might add a second for spare parts as I have 4 of these type valves on my set).

Mike

Hello All,

I was preparing to close my pool, my pump station is below water level and am asking for your help. I have a three way black Jandy Valve that controls the main drain and for some reason while I was opening and closing the valve to blow air, the handle can turn but it won't open the valve to allow the main to drain or to allow the blower force air into the line to create an air lock for over the winter. I'm guessing the actuator, from what I can tell looking at parts lists, is broken??? BUT I'm worried if I unscrew the top, then the force of water will not allow me to replace the actuator. Then again I don't know if thats the problem??? Any suggestions, past experiences, or know how will be truly appreciated.

Thanks
ADuran

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.