Minimum Depth for Jumping?

I'll have to pile on to the unanimous opinions so far by saying "Request Denied" on this jumping scenario...and this coming from someone that has done his share of thrill-seeking gigs such as scuba dive with sharks, ridden boogie boards in hurricane-driven waves in the ocean, hanging onto the fence at Princess Juliana airport in St. Maarten (look it up on YT), and would join a tornado-chasing team given half a chance.

I'll have to pile on to the unanimous opinions so far by saying "Request Denied" on this jumping scenario...and this coming from someone that has done his share of thrill-seeking gigs such as scuba dive with sharks, ridden boogie boards in hurricane-driven waves in the ocean, hanging onto the fence at Princess Juliana airport in St. Maarten (look it up on YT), and would join a tornado-chasing team given half a chance.
And drove the blocking car for a guy smuggling a truckload of Coors from Texas to Georgia!

When I was growing up, our neighbors had an AGP and the kids, actually young men, were jumping off the roof of the garage into the pool. When my dad put in a pool in our yard, he made sure it was no where near the garage and forbade us to jump from it.
Next house, dad put in an AGP with a deck next to the house and attached garage. Didn't think to forbid us to jump off of it. Tried it twice and was so nervous didn't do it again. As a kid I thought it was cool, remembering the neighbor's kids, but from experience, would NOT recommend it. :)
(Mind you, as kids, we jumped off the garage roof onto the ground numerous times). :brickwall:

Above ground pools are not designed to be jumped into, and the manufacturers require posting "no diving" signs. The greater the height the more force is transferred to the pool walls on impact. If the pool has any rust or weakened areas on the walls they run the risk of having the wall rupture with every jump. There is also the risk of popping the wall out of the bottom rail and eventually causing the pool to fail. That is just damage to the pool.

More importantly, the risk of injury to the kids would be more than enough to veto this idea. There is not enough depth for them to jump safely from that height. Here is a link for diving pool design .

Every one of those kids jumping off the platform is probably hitting the floor of the pool with their feet. Its just a matter of time before one either punctures the liner w a toenail at least or has an ankle injury. I hope the homeowner at least has enough sense to be outside when the kids are swimming in case something does happen.

These are probably the same type of people who tailgate someone while going 70 on the highway and think that their "good reflexes" are going to somehow miraculously and against the laws of physics, stop their SUV before plowing into the person in front of them if something goes wrong.

A lot of people just don't think. Unfortunately, a lot of them won't figure it out until something terrible happens.

It is an Intex Ultra, round - I think 22 foot diameter. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely than a standard AG to have a side be compromised by the force of the jumps.

When I was a kid we jumped off the roof all the time onto grass, usually seated on the roof, not just flying off it. But a 9 ft. drop into anything but a very deep pool sounds crazy. Big difference between 6 and 9 feet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my son 17 already said he would jump off our roof into the pool. I told him the pool would be promptly emptied and sold. I think he will try it too. I expect a nanny cam hooked up to my iphone very soon will be in order. I figure one day Ill come home and find water low in the pool and a ladder all wet. Then I'll know they did it and away the pool would go. There is no taking back a broken spine.

Here in NC, we have found "jumping" quite useful......it most always thins the herd and improves the gene pool.

You might be a redneck if..........
You had a cousin who's last words were, "Hey, y'all, Watch This!".:shock::shock:

(I know it's an old joke but it seemed so apropos.)

A neighbor has an above ground pool that I'm guessing has 45" of water depth. He has a platform up in a tree above the pool that is approximately nine feet off the ground. His kids and other neighbors do jump (NOT dive) into the pool from there.

In my early teens, I went to a summer camp that was affiliated, but no on-site with, with a private swim club. They had a dive pool with 1m, 2m, and 3m dive platforms and an 18ft "deep end" at the swim club, which we would go to on occasion. I jumped from the 3m once (didn't really want to; peer pressure hard at work...), and entered the water feet-first but not straight. Not only did my feet sting for an hour afterwards, but I touched the bottom... of the 18ft deep end.

There is no way on Earth I would allow my child, of ANY age, to jump from a 9ft platform into a 4ft above-ground pool. That's a personal injury attorney's wet dream right there...

It's gonna be bad when the side ruptures and some kid has 80k lbs of water throwing him at the tree next to the pool. One a bright note, at least he won't get cut by the side walls as he gets ejected from the pool since it's an intex. If one of the poles breaks he might get impaled though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.