Chlorine tabs causing hives or rash? SWG?

May 11, 2015
Roanoke
Soooo. I've had the pool up for almost my a month and the boss (wife) has broken out in a rash. We've had a pool for years, but we are starting to narrow down th causes. We Originally thought the hives were from stress. Now the kids have it after spending the day in the pool. Everything tests fine. That got me to thinking about the chlorine. Well, some sites say that it could exxagerate the actual allergy of whatever, but not actually be the allergy. My question is if the saltwater system would result in a similar result or if anyone else has had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything tests fine.
Ultimately, that will be the issue. Post your results but everything does NOT test fine because you are getting a rash from your pool water....probably. Like woodyp says, it is likely High CC's but we won't have any idea until you can post test results.

No, high combined chlorine.

Salt makes water better for skin, not worse. Need the following test results from a recommended test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

There is nothing more important than current valid test results. Here's what we need.

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
Borates - (if you are using borates)

more info here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Wow. I feel like such a newbie. Soooooooooo. In full disclosure, I don't have the tests that are mentioned via the link. I have always used a lot I bought from Home Depot
709ded8f0fafb24639cff804ffd7d279.jpg

I guess I need to prefer something more sufficient. It's really hard to tell if my CC too high using this kit.. Ugh! I ups shocking the pool help? I read in this manual that if my cc and my fc were different by .02 or more the. A super chlorination is needed. Really funny considering this what the test gives me to judge by:
b90462fcdcf07ec0879b6d6deae0903a.jpg

You can't get a DECENT CC reading from that kit, nor can you properly perform a SLAM without one of our recommended test kits. You'll just be throwing stuff in blindly. WE DON'T DO THAT!

Lol. Easy. Easaaaasy there. It's 90-freakin-2 outside so I figured it was worth a shot. I guess the boss will have to wait till I can get my college level chemistry kit ordered. Maybe I can talk her into running the beer out to the pool when I'm empty. Jk. :)

Please put your pool info in your signature so we know what you have. Since you said it has "been up for almost a month", I assume it's an above ground. If it's not too big and you want to use it right now, drain and refill it. 75% or so should dilute whatever problem you have that's causing the rash.

The kit you have won't give an accurate CC reading, but it will measure CYA and Ph. See what those are, then using Poolmath, add enough liquid bleach to get your FC into the desired range for your CYA. That will make your pool usable for a few days until you can good one of the recommended test kits.

Don't add anything but bleach, CYA (aka stabilizer), and muratic acid if needed to bring your Ph into the 7.2 - 7.8 range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jeffchap! I'll update my sig tonight. Running around trying to figure this **** out. For the record, it's a 20' x 52" intex ABP with the intext sand filter, and Hayward skimmer basket installed.

Lol. Oh. It's not getting drained. It took me a couple days to fill. As luck would have it a storm has rolled in, so she doesn't want to swim all that bad. Maybe in the evening. We'll see. I went ahead and shocked the pool, if for no other reason than I haven't done so in over a week and it was super hot and sunny the past 3-4 days

Go ahead and measure your CYA with the test kit you have. If it's too high, you're going to have to perform a partial drain and refill anyway. You might as well do it today while the weather is lousy for swimming. There's no other effective method for lowering CYA.

You want something in the 30-40 ppm range if you're going to use liquid bleach to chlorinate your pool from now on. You can go higher, say 70 ppm if you plan to install a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.