New Pool Owners, Rookie Winter Mistajke, Converting to Saltwater

Jun 12, 2015
St. Louis, MO
So I must admit our first year of being pool owners was a disaster last year. The levels never were quite right, and then we didn't cover the pool over the winter. Lesson learned: Hello Spring Septic Tank! BLECK! It is currently draining, and as we get it back up and running we will be converting to the saltwater/sand filter system. I need guidance on the best way to scrub the pool walls before re-filling, and how to balance the levels with the new systems. We have a 18' x 52" Intex Ultra-frame above ground pool. We will be hooking up the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 110-120 Volt with GFCI, 2100 Gallon, and the Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools systems. Any advice besides ALWAYS cover the pool?

First of all ... welcome! Glad to have you with us. SGW experts will reply shortly, although many before you have converted to SWG with great success. What I'm confused about is why you appear to be so firm on covering your pool for the winter. Sure, many folks do, but for varying reasons. Leaving the pool uncovered in itself will not become a hot-bed for algae. We have winter preparation to assist with that. Being in Missouri, I know it gets quite chilly for you, so the water will be cold enough to prevent algae from growing as well. Of course leaves and debris can be an issue. Just a thought or two on that.

Also, you mention your "levels", but did not post any. Do you do your own testing? If so, with what test kit? It would be nice if you could post some readings for us so that others may comment to assist.

Lastly, feel free to copy & paste your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Again - welcome!

Also, there was really no need to drain your pool. It's MUCH easier to clean and correct it, with water in it. And you should never completely drain it, if you do need to lower the water level for some reason. The liner likes to have water in it to hold it in place and not shrink.

Hi Pat!

Thanks for your response! We finally have it drained almost completely, and there is roughly 3-4 inches of leaves in the bottom now. I think I thought I absolutely needed to cover it for the winter because this spring has been such a nightmare. Our old pump quit working in the middle of August last year, and we did not replace the pump or drain it then. The water had plenty of time to turn into a green and eventually black algae and mosquito haven before the first freeze.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate al the advice I can get!

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.