Hayward Skimmer in Intex Ultra Frame AGP

Domct203, I'm planning to install a Hayward skimmer on my pool, can you fix your pictures so I can see how you did it? All your pictures say to update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.
Because Photobucket decided to change their TOS without warning, I am now forced to download all of my pictures, then upload them to TFP and edit every post I have PB linked pics in.

It's on my 2do list, and will do it when I have a few hours to dedicate to doing it. I will make this thread priority.

Jeez, hope Google doesn't pull something like that with with sharing photos from Google Photos. Thanks for fixing the photos when you get a chance.

Thanks for updating your pictures, this is gonna help a lot when I buy and install mine. Do you notice the skimmer moving a lot when you're swimming in the pool? Wondering if its safe to hard pipe completely, or should I use flexible hoses to connect the pool and the PVC so the PVC doesn't snap, or the pool liner tear.

Hey Dom What suction fittings did you use . They don't look like the stock ones?
In the pictures in this thread, I have the original Intex suction port, plumbed with the skimmer, and a Hayward standard 1-1/2 wall fitting with a 3/4" eyeball. I used that setup for two full seasons with zero issues.

When I bought my new Hayward pump and sand filter I also replaced the original Intex suction port fitting with another Hayward fitting as now it is the dedicated vacuum port with my suction side cleaner. When I'm not using it for vacuuming I have a screw in grate cover so I can leave the port cracked open in the spring because my skimmer fills up with tree debris quickly and I don't want to starve the pump.

Thanks for updating your pictures, this is gonna help a lot when I buy and install mine. Do you notice the skimmer moving a lot when you're swimming in the pool? Wondering if its safe to hard pipe completely, or should I use flexible hoses to connect the pool and the PVC so the PVC doesn't snap, or the pool liner tear.
The pool walls and plumbing do move around, and when the entire family is in the pool (6 kids ages 7-13 + a couple of adults) I can see the flex hoses moving a bit with the walls and plumbing. Would it be a problem if everything was hard pipes? I don't think so, but I would rather not take the chance. Also, with using the flex hoses, it makes it much easier to remove the intake & suction port ball valves from the pool when I winterize.

I will say that I find the pool walls incredibly stable considering the design of the pool, you are pretty much swimming in a big bag of water LOL.

I have a coleman/bestway from Walmart and the size of suction fitting is smaller . I didn't measure yet but I think it is 1 1/4. The fitting is very easily turned. Since this pool has 2 suction ports want to close off at least one of them. May change them to a regular intex suction fitting if I can find one locally today. I did install the Hayward skimmer with the water in it, But I did not cut out the opening yet, cause there is a very tiny leak on bottom left. Trying to figure out a solution to that. before I cut it would have to drain water to that level really trying to avoid that. Thanks for all your help and patience.

I think your best bet is to install a couple of Hayward 1-1/2" wall fittings, and plug the unused one. It will make the re-plumb so much easier having standard thread fittings.

I was able to tighten the split gasket enough so no more leaks. now onto hard plumbing 1 1/2 pvc to my hayward skimmer . Just need to find 1 1/2 hayward suction wall fitting, and the real scary part is enlarging the 1 1/4 inch opening bestway puts on a 26 round pool incredible. Btw cyclendave nice area around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doing my skimmer install Friday and Saturday. I noticed you don't have anything supporting the skimmer except the soft shell of the pool, have you had any issue with that or does it seem like it might weigh too much? I'm thinking about running hard PVC down to the ground for support, but not sure if that's necessary.

Doing my skimmer install Friday and Saturday. I noticed you don't have anything supporting the skimmer except the soft shell of the pool, have you had any issue with that or does it seem like it might weigh too much? I'm thinking about running hard PVC down to the ground for support, but not sure if that's necessary.

On the intex no support is required. If that soft shell can hold hundreds of tons of water, a pound or so of skimmer is nothing. What kind of pool is it?
For my intex I used about 3 feet of flexible PVC so that it can flex because the sides of the pool move. If it were entirely hard plumbed I'd be afraid it would break it because the sides of my pool move (and thus so does the skimmer).

On the intex no support is required. If that soft shell can hold hundreds of tons of water, a pound or so of skimmer is nothing. What kind of pool is it?
For my intex I used about 3 feet of flexible PVC so that it can flex because the sides of the pool move. If it were entirely hard plumbed I'd be afraid it would break it because the sides of my pool move (and thus so does the skimmer).

It's a Coleman AG pool, basically an Intex for all intents and purposes. I was worried that with the walls ability to flex a little, the weight of a gallon of water tugging downward would be enough to stretch the liner above to skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.