New Pool owner, just starting

FALSE

May 12, 2015
Waynesville Ohio
Hello,
I just purchased a new house and the previous owner left her above ground Polygroup pool. Same type as an Intex I think...
It was a pretty nasty mess but I've drained and cleaned it and now am filling it up.

I'm planning on following the "Guide for seasonal and temporary pools" to maintain the chemicals.
It says to adjust CYA, then PH, then FC.
I've got a few questions though...

1. On this initial fill up, how long should I wait after adding CYA before I adjust the PH and then how long to wait before adjusting FC?
2. After the initial fill, do I just adjust all chemicals daily and do I just add them all at once?
3. Are there any specific forms of chemicals I should stay away from for my type of pool? I think I heard just tossing a chlorine puck in can damage the vinyl...

Thanks for any help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Start the CYA dissolving in a sock, then test the pH as soon as you want. Wait 30 minutes, verify your pH and add the bleach.

2. Daily you will test the pH and FC and adjust as needed. Safe to wait 30 minutes between acid and bleach.

3. If you are following the temp guide and not using one of the full Recommended Test Kits, you should avoid all chemicals except bleach to raise the FC, muriatic acid to lower the pH or borax to raise the pH.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Start the CYA dissolving in a sock, then test the pH as soon as you want. Wait 30 minutes, verify your pH and add the bleach.

2. Daily you will test the pH and FC and adjust as needed. Safe to wait 30 minutes between acid and bleach.

3. If you are following the temp guide and not using one of the full Recommended Test Kits, you should avoid all chemicals except bleach to raise the FC, muriatic acid to lower the pH or borax to raise the pH.

Thanks for the quick response.
So I shouldn't use these HTH chemicals I bought?" PH Plus" which says is sodium carbonate, "PH Minus" sodium bisulfate, and Chlorinating tablets.
I thought I could just put the tablets in the skimmer basket and the powders in a sock in the skimmer basket.
It's not safe to do so?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.