OmniLogic doesn't "see" Tristar VS pump

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Brand new equipment. Spa has an Ecostar VS dedicated to it. Pool/filter system uses a Tristar VS (SP3200VSPND) (no LED display or buttons). The OmniLogic is able to see the Ecostar, but for some reason it won't "see" the Tristar. I assume I am missing something simple, but I can't figure it out. I have the communications wired - RS485 A and B wired to the Low Speed Bus connector 2 and 3 respectively. Tristar is wired for high voltage as well.

I have tried swapping the low speed bus connector and position on the OmniLogic.

I have replaced the communications wiring.

I have changed the SW200 disp switches (not sure if that is even relevant to this issue, but tried it to make sure).

I updated firmware for the OmniLogic.

What am I missing?

Is there a way to turn on the Tristar pump absent the OmniLogic? This Tristar doesn't have an onboard display.

TIA

-Shotcrete Pool completed on 06/05/15. Pebble Sheen (American Blue - custom color by American Pool Plastering. cross between French Grey and Aqua Blue). -Tile by Dal Tile CW27 Winter Blues over Laticrete 254 thinset, over Hydroban waterproofing, with Custom Blend Delorean Grey grout. -Pool dimensions 45x19 24,360 gallons. Spa dimensions 7x7 825 gallons. -Hayward Equipment: OmniLogic, Main filter pump Tristar VS Sp3200VSPND, Spa pump Ecostar VS SP3400VSP, Filter 700sq ft Cartridge Filter HCF7030C, T-Cell 15 SWG, GVA 24 valve actuators, Universal ColorLogic 12v LED lights, H500FDN Natural Gas 500,000 BTU heater.

Hi Sir, the SP3200VSPND is only compatible with the previous controllers including the ProLogic. For the OmniLogic you need the SP3202VSPND. Talk to your supplier of the pump who can talk with us (Hayward) about helping you out on this one.

Hi Sir, the SP3200VSPND is only compatible with the previous controllers including the ProLogic. For the OmniLogic you need the SP3202VSPND. Talk to your supplier of the pump who can talk with us (Hayward) about helping you out on this one.

thank you for this information. I realized that yesterday when I spoke with tech support. it is very unfortunate that the supplier was unaware of this non compatibility and near as i can tell there is a COMPLETE lack of any information about this online, in the omnilogic instructions or in the tristar instructions. in fact the brochure for the omnilogic indicates the tristar is compatible, yet doesn't mention that only the 3202 is the compatible version. Then when you go on the hayward www site i couldn't even find a reference to a 3202 model. so, in the end very confusing for the pool professional.

I would also encourage anyone considering the tristar 3202 (which I was told has no display of it's own) to NOT buy it. If your automation or your customer's automation goes down there is NO way to manually turn on the pump/motor. I am not sure who thought it was a good idea to completely rely on the automation with no manual back up on the pump/motor itself. the ecostar is the better way to go. it has its own control panel, so if the automation (omnilogic) goes down you can at least manually program/operate the pump/motor.

This is something brand new and the word is just getting out. We went with the ND model to keep the price down. Trade was asking for this model. The EcoStar is the best way if you want the ability to control from the pump is the controller goes down.

This is something brand new and the word is just getting out. We went with the ND model to keep the price down. Trade was asking for this model. The EcoStar is the best way if you want the ability to control from the pump is the controller goes down.

I did not know we had a Hayward tech person on here, nice :) Smart move

Now if we could get the word out to all manufactures we would all be good

The notion that a pump can't be controlled when/if the automation goes down is a crazy concept to me. My guess is the part of the trade that has asked for this hasn't thought this through. If they had, they wouldn't be asking for it. Or they are the part of the trade that want's to take advantage of their customers when the automation goes down. The display/ability to control the pump can also prove helpful if you are troubleshooting operation of the pump, or bench testing it for some reason.

I agree that the Ecostar is definitely the way to go right now if you are running OmniLogic. I was told, not sure if it's true, Hayward is working on a Tristar with a display and controllable by OmniLogic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.