filter upgrade

smc995

Jun 4, 2015
galesburg illinois
I have a 16x48 intex pool that I have not filled yet have been reading that the filter it came with is not adequate my question is should I get a sand filter and if so what size ? The description of the pool states its around 5000 gallons depending on how full.

I have the same pool. I added the 1600 GPH pump with 16" sand filter, and it does fine. But if the 2500 GPH is available, go for it. They didn't have one in stock when I bought mine, or I likely would have gotten the larger one. But either is a vast upgrade from the cartridge filter.

Next, get a Hayward Dyna-skim thru-the-wall skimmer. It keeps so much more debris out of the pool, you won't believe it. Plus it comes with a much better return eyeball and an adapter so that you can use a real pool vac. Don't be afraid to cut the holes in your liner. It's simple and you won't ruin it. Just take your time with an Xacto knife. There are many threads here on how to do it.

Lastly, I like my SWG immensely. Add salt, get your water balanced, and forget about it. Just test every few days. I don't recommend the pump/SWG combo units. Eventually one or the other will quit, and you'll be stuck replacing both. Get the standalone unit instead.

That's my suggested order of upgrades - pump/filter, skimmer, then SWG. Congrats and enjoy that pool. We love ours!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.