Leuders Limestone Issue

May 27, 2015
Texas
Under construction here in North Texas. The leuders limestone wall has been up for about 15 days and some of the rock (about 6) has developed this dark ring around the edges. PB says this is natural for this type of rock, but I don't see it on peoples houses that have this stone, so why my pool wall?? It wasn't there when they built the wall, so this is something that has just developed over the last week. I don't want the rest of the wall to start looking like this either. The back side of the wall is exposed (unsealed) gunite at the moment, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it?? Any ideas??

Attachments

• pool wall 2.jpg
    pool wall 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 114
  • pool wall 3.jpg
    pool wall 3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 112
Smackdn775, it appears you haven't received a reply yet on your post about rings on the limestone. Not sure if you have resolved your issue by now, but this reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. We apologize for the delay, and thank you for checking-in with TFP. Have a great day.

Welcome to TFP! A little belated. I know nothing about this sort of thing, but...... Just this week, I was researching a sealer for our Travertine coping and decking for our yet-to-be-finished pool.

When I read your post and description, it reminded me of one of the FAQ's I had read on the Dry Treat website. I know this doesn't tell you what to do about it, and I can't say it is what has occurred in your situation. But I'm hoping it may lead you to some answers. Let us know, in case some of us ever run across a similar situation! Best of luck! Suz.

Dry-Treat | FAQS

"Do I need to pre-seal my tile?
Pre-sealing is the process of sealing a tile or stone before it is installed and helps protect the tile from installation water damage such as that caused by grouting between the tile joints. Pre-sealing also helps reduce the amount of impregnating sealer required once the tile is installed as it reduces the amount of sealer penetrating too deeply into the tile. One other important benefit of pre-sealing is to reduce the effects of grout migrating into the side of the tile causing an unsightly discolouration. Some tiles arrive on the job already pre-sealed, often with a relatively weak sealer in the factory. To check if a tile needs to be pre-sealed place a tablespoon of water on it's surface for 30 seconds. Blot up the water with a tissue, pressing hard to soak up any water in the texture of the surface. If the water is absorbed or leaves a dark mark the tile should be pre-sealed prior to their laying. Pre-sealing the sides of a tile is not an issue since a strong bond between the grout and the tile is not essential. The main purpose of the grout is to fill the gap and provide lateral support. Both of these outcomes are achieved by pre-sealing the edge of the tile."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.