New Pump and Filter Needed

May 27, 2015
York, PA
Hello All,

I have a 16x32, 13500 gal, above ground pool and I am going to need a new filter/pump in the next year. I currently have a 2HP tropicana pump and a cartridge filter with 150sq ft. I don't know if these numbers are important or not. I usually run my pump 12-24hrs per day because my pool is under a large dirty tree and because I am really forgetful about turning it off and on. Anyway, I was wondering if I should stay with this type of pump/filter or what would be the best for energy usage. Also is there any pumps that have a timer that I could set to only run say 12 hours per day. I would love some advice/options. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming you have a simple pool, with no spa or large water feature, a smaller pump, like a 1 HP, would be a better fit. Ideally you want a two speed pump. Timers are usually sold separately. A suitable timer would allow you to run the pump for say an hour, four times a day, which would allow a much shorter pump run time, which still collecting most of the debris from the tree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.