Florida pool new owner - evaporation with waterfall rock feature.

MBison

May 25, 2015
jacksonville, Florida
I live in Florida and my pool is uncovered and in direct sunlight most of the day. It has a waterfall over rocks feature so when the pump is on, the water flows over the spa and waterfalls over the rocks into the pool.

I read online that standard pools may lose 1/4 inch to evaporation a day but I'm seeing more like 1/2 inch. Is that normal given my location and more so perhaps the waterfall rock feature? Logic tells me that more water will evaporate over the hot rocks. Is this true?

Would it be wiser to move my pump time to like 4am to 12 pm so it's not on during the hottest moments of the day? Right now it's 8am-4:30pm.

I'm just paranoid about leaks and problems and just curious what's normal and how I figure out if it's normal.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks for responding. What do you think about shifting the pump on time? I read in this forum that 8 hours a day isn't necessary but I'm not sure how I could determine how long I should use the pump. The company that maintains the pool knows it's on 8 hours a day and hasn't suggested any changes. It's a salt pool.

I'm still neurotic about the leak and may call someone but figure I'm gonna drop a bunch of cash to just get peace of mind I guess.

Welcome to TFP!

Don't spend the money yet. Do a search on the forum here for a bucket test. Doing one will confirm a leak or no leak. It doesn't sound too terribly out of line.

As for running the pool, you'll have to find the least amount you can run it with the proper setting on your SWG to maintain a good FC residual, and keep the pool clean to your liking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.