Anyone Ever Heard of "Hybrid" Pools?

Mar 26, 2015
Henderson, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is an older post but, this is the same pool type that I have. I was wondering what you ended up doing to renovate your pool. Has anyone else renovated this type of "Hybrid" pool? my concrete floor is in great shape. The fiberglass panel walls are full of the bubbles but they are not leaking. My problem is that the coping is breaking up in a couple of areas. I am looking for options! Would I be better off sanding the panels down to fiberglass as stated above.
The walls must be sanded down to the fiberglass using an angle grinder with a 24grit sanding pad

After removing all the gel coat (the white or faded blue color) hose down and let dry overnight

Wash walls down with pool solvent

Roll on 1 coating of vinyl ester resin

Roll on first coating of swimming pool gel coat

Roll on second coating of swimming pool gel coat

Do not cover walls with pool water for 3 full days, rain does not matter

Fill the pool and do not empty again except for emergency repair

Walls will be like the day they were new for the next 15 years.

Should I have the bubbles Ground out, Epoxy or something applied to these areas? Have coping replaced with type that will accept a vinyl liner, maybe add padding to walls and floor and put in a nice liner and enjoy my pool?
I could have coping repaired and let the rest go but thought it might be a good time to add liner if advisable.
Any suggestions other options are certainly welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Moderator note: This was lit from an older post here: Anyone Ever Heard of Pools?

If your primary problem is with the coping, that can be replaced separately from everything else.

Putting in a vinyl liner or refinishing the fiberglass are both options. One of those could be done now, or the fiberglass issues could easily be put off until later.

If your primary problem is with the coping, that can be replaced separately from everything else.

Putting in a vinyl liner or refinishing the fiberglass are both options. One of those could be done now, or the fiberglass issues could easily be put off until later.

Are you saying I should/could replace the existing coping with one that will accept a vinyl liner in the future?

Not really. I am saying that I would deal with the coping now, and put off any decision about the fiberglass until later. You have lots of options, you can do it some other way if you want to, that is just what I would do.

I know old post, but I used that re-gelcoat product on my hybrid pool walls over 7 years ago.
- prior to that, gel coat had worn off so would cause itchy skin for anyone who rubbed against the walls.
- I considered a paint option, but knew it would be short-term fix or require redo in 3-4 years.
- Purchased from uglassit with directions from Bill (that you noted above). Recall it being expensive 5gal bucket...around $400.
- Ours was bad enough to not need much sanding at all with most of gel coat gone.
- Typical 2-part application process... and made walls look like new.
- I also acid washed the floor which made it look very clean.
- Over time the blue gelcoat color faded some...but I can't recall if I didn't wait long enough to fill pool to be part of the cause.
- After 7-8 years, gelcoat is still great with no sign of deterioration.
- And faded blue color is still better than the old faded turquoise (typical fiberglass color).
- BTW, this project convinced me that it was easier and cheaper to just empty the pool each spring...clean it and fill with fresh water. Opening kits cost around $200 and confirmed only about $100 of water cost to fill (in 24hrs with 2 hoses)....and fresh vs treated water and avoid some false start openings with cloudy water in the past...throwing more money at it with algaecide. I have had zero algae problems for the last 7 years that I have done this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.