Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closed pool but .....

1. Back To Top    #1

Closed pool but .....

Hello
    I had a company come in and close my built in pool here in NY. He said it wasn't necessary to rinse out my Hayward filter as he did a very good back wash. He said Hayward recommends it being opened and cleaned once every 5 years. This sound right to you? Also my salt in line control unit is still hooked up and I thought that should of been taken in. Any thoughts? Would you like me to post a picture or two? Let me know
    Also my water level was not dropped, it still goes into the skimmers which have been plugged and have those gizzo's in them

This is my first year with the pool and would like to do things the right way.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closed pool but .....

What kind of filter do you have? If it is a sand filter then he is right, just backwash. If it is a cartridge then the cartridges should be removed and washed off throughly. If it is a DE filter opening and cleaning is also recommended.

There are many ways to close a pool. The technique you describe is reasonable as long as it is done correctly, and your aren't too far north.

Using a font that large is considered shouting. It is best not to shout.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks very much for the reply. I do have a DE filter. I will try to remove the salt "tube" because I really don't want it out all winter.
    Thanks again
    Tom

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, Tom,

You defintely want to take apart and clean your DE filter every year. Sounds like the pool company guy is either completely unknowledgable or incredibly lazy! It's really not that big of deal to do. After you've been a member of this forum and had your pool awhile you should consider just clsoing the pool yourself. At least you'll know it's done right (with all the generous help of all the wonderful folks in this forum!).
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October

5. Back To Top    #5

Tom, I STRONGLY!! suggest opening up the filter and cleaning it Here is a post I made last spring on caring for DE filters which will explain why I STRONGLY suggest a manual cleaning

Hope you have a great winter! 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I will clean it this weekend. Will let you know how I make out

Thank you guys for watching out for me
    Tom

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I have good news and some bad news...

I was able to get the cover apart (very easy!) my old Doughboy DE filter had about 40 bolts that had to be undone. Once apart I hosed everything out and I must say it looked pretty good. I was not able to pull out the grid unit because I wasn't sure what was hanging up on it. I assume now it is where the plastic pipe comes up towards the top and has an O ring. I put everything back together and will make a point to do a more thorough job next year.
    Now I just have to get to the store to buy a pair of channel locks big enough to get the unions off of the SWG and heater.

Thanks again for the help
    Tom

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

get to the store to buy a pair of channel locks big enough to get the unions off of the SWG and heater
    Unless they were really screwed on overly tight, you should be able to use a strap wrench and save some money over channel locks.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I do have a strap wrench and will give it a try before heading out to the store. Thanks for the tip
    Tom

10. Back To Top    #10

Strap wrench worked out perfectly. Now can you recommend something to cover the inlet and outlet on the heater as well as the one open return from the SWG? Do I use electrical tape, duct tape? The pool guys put some type of black 1-1/2 tape on but not sure just what it is.

Thanks again
    Tom

11. Back To Top    #11

Tom, if the homeowner doesn't want to invest in some rubber plugs, we put plastic on the openings and duct tape it on (the plastic keeps the tape adhesive from sticking to the pipes/ threads)

All you're trying to do is keep critters out of the lines as well as rain/ snow

Glad you got the unions disconnected
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

OK Thanks

I put duct tape directly on the pipe ends. Maybe I should redo it with the plastic under the duct tape? Or do you think it will be all right. I even duct taped the filter openings so nothing gets into it while in the shed. I would buy the pvc end cap fittings if they make them
    Tom

13. Back To Top    #13

The tape is for aesthetics next year 8) The adhesive that stays on the pipes/ threads shouldn't cause any problem
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok I'll leave it as it is then. thanks again for the help
    Tom

15. Back To Top    #15

Only thing left outside is the heater and the Electric control panel which has the SWG control unit behind it. I want to cover the control panels from the weather and was thinking of putting a 15 gallon plastic drum over it. Similar to a narrow garbage can. Someone suggested shrink wrap. What do you guys recommend I do
    The heater will get a cover

Thanks
    Tom

16. Back To Top    #16

Tom,

You are really going above and beyond here. Keep in mind that the things you are covering exist in part to keep the elements off of the important bits already. I'd be just as concerned with trapping something in whatever cover you use (moisture, rodents, etc.) as any damage that the weather could do. These things are made to live outside. You have a much harsher climate there than I do, so maybe some of this is necessary, but all this disconnecting and covering up can sometimes cause more problems than it solves.

That said, keep up the enthusiasm!

Tim

17. Back To Top    #17

point taken and I appreciate it. I had my old timer from the old pool rust out on me (after 12 years) so I thought maybe I should just go the extra step. I am worried about moisture build up and that is why I will only cover the top of my heater. Just not sure how "tough" the electric panel and SWG control panel are.

Thanks again
    Tom