AutoPilot Digital - Chemical Controller Flow Valve

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
The flow valve in the chemical controller is not working, a replacement is being sent. The tech stated they had some issues with a batch of magnets and my serial number matched that batch.

The tech advised me to switch off the flow control in the "Installation Menu", just after one enters the controller type in this case "Total Control", the next question posed by the menu is "Flow Sensor" on or off, and so it was switched to off.

The water still flows through the chemistry unit but because of the faulty flow sensor it gives the error message and that is why we turned it off.

The question, is the ORP reading correct? I know from having tested the acid that the pH reading is correct.

Any help would be appreciated as delivery can take up to 2 weeks to get it to Honolulu.

Sean,

Firstly thank you to you and your support staff the controller came exactly on the date promised.

Last Sunday I replaced it, very simple to do and all works well.

The following is just a thought.

I noticed that there was some slight calcium/salt ? build up on the valve. Although the manual does not say to take it out and clean it as it does for the ORP and pH modules, being that it is wired into the unit and one has to take out the connecting wires from the control box. It seems to me that this might be a good idea. I wash the ORP and pH valves weekly as we have very soft water and the Calcite Saturation Index (CSI) is kept around -0.20. They have worked perfectly so far since April.

A simple solution when re-designing the unit maybe to have the wires detachable somewhere on along its length so that the unit might also be cleaned.

I think but am not sure that this might have been the problem in that it did not re-seat properly. I will clean the old unit and see if it works when the time comes for a replacement.

I was thinking of asking our electrician to splice the line and put in a detachable waterproof plug so that I might not have to ask again for a replacement.

Hope this idea helps or maybe you might think this is not a good idea for reasons better known by your company but not by me.

Let me know what you think.

Aloha.

It is not common for any build up to cause problems with the flow switch on the chemistry controller. Even if it gets a slight chemical dust coating, like the ORP and pH sensors may, it does not affect the magnetic mechanism of the flow switch, as the coating would affect the sensors.

I think you're over-analysing the system. Just relax and enjoy your pool :goodjob:
...unless you're a retired engineer and that's just your nature. :wink:

Poolsean,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delayed response but we have been busy this week.

I am a retired accounting controller, I am also retired from a few other things. Those may or may not affect my overall need for precision, other than my half-German ancestry.

I am sure you are most probably correct. I will clean the old one and if the replacement fails I will try installing that in the future before I call for a replacement. If it works at that time, highly unlikely as you stated, I will advise; if not I will also advise.

Aloha.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.