Correct test kit to purchase

May 15, 2015
Brooklyn NY
Hello. I am a somewhat new pool owner and trying to get my pool opened correctly. I have a salt water generator for chlorine production. I used the pool store statup kit to get the pool opened (unfortunately I dont know what i put in). I would like to stop going to the pool store for advice on water chemistry and would like to learn to do it myself. What is a better test kit to buy? The TF100 or the K2006? I am planning to test the water and then send my results to this forum for some suggestions on getting the water just right. My pool is 12x18 above ground and I believe 48 or 52" high. For the purpose of this post and so I can get my tester, please recommend the correct test kit. Thank you

I'd go with the TF-100 with one of the salt options. Same chemistry, but the quantities are a little better optimized. You'll also get better service from TFTestkits.net than any place else and get the get sooner than any other option.

Both kits will do nicely for your pool. The TF-100 is a better over all value with more appropriate amounts of reagents. I love the SpeedStir option but it's not required. You can see the test kits compared here: Test Kits Comparison

What does your water look like? If your water is riddled with algae, the XL option for the TF-100 might be a good idea.

Add the details of your pool to your forum signature so it's easier for folks to help you out. To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

I'd also suggest spending some time in Pool School, for sure starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. If you want to take control of your pool, you need to arm yourself with the knowledge to do so. Pool School and looking at other people's threads that interest you or relate to you will get you there.

Hello,
I initially purchased a K-2006, because:
1. I didn't know better.
2. Had no idea about the TF-100. (Who are those guys at TFTestkits.net.) Why would I want to buy from some "Unknown Company"?

Go for the TF-100 and get your refills from them! Great company. (I'm 99% sure they use the same regents that come from Taylor. They buy in bulk, and repackage passing the savings on to you.)
TFTestkits.net provides outstanding customer support. I've ordered my refills from them, and they are always shipped in a timely manor. Plus they typically run beginning of season sales.

If you become a paid member here, you get a discount. Check this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/144-CLICK-HERE-to-Become-a-TroubleFreePool-com-Supporter!

I don't have any affiliation with them, other than being a satisfied client. And if I had to do it over again I would get the TF-100 from them. (My K-2006 has served me well. The original case is gone. And has been replaced with a case from Wal-Mart. (Similar to the TF-100 case.))

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.