leak after replacing pump motor

Apr 18, 2015
AZ
Getting ready for summer, I replaced a bad pump motor and at the same time I did the impeller, diffuser, seal and o-rings which came in one kit (R0445304 Jandy Impeller Replacement Kit) and the back plate o-ring I bought separately. Sadly, I have a small leak where the motor attaches :( It was my first time doing this and I was so careful I watched every video I could find and I have no idea what I did wrong. Is my next step to take it all apart and replace the seal even though it's all brand new? Does it matter that I have a salt water pool for the seal? I there a different seal that would be better??? The kit I used included a R0479400 Seal. Thanks for any help.

PoolMotorNewLARGE_zps1zko6uif.jpg

I took this all apart again this morning and replaced the seal with another new Zodiac SKU: R0479400 but I noticed something looking through the instructions, it says to hold the back of the motor shaft with a 1/2" wrench and this is the only discrepancy. I had to hold the back of the motor with a 7/16" wrench. That stood out as odd so I measured everything and the seal is 5/8" opening and I measured the motor shaft with 2 different calipers and it is 1/2"!!!

Now I have no idea what to do :(
My impeller screws onto the shaft nice and the impeller screw fits but I suspect my seal is the wrong size???
I don't know I've never done this before!
If the "right" part number is the wrong part, how on earth do I find the right seal???
This one though it is packaged by Jandy the carbon piece has markings on the rubber side:
JOHN CRANE INT - 01601 - CPA025 93

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.