Day or night???

Joelin

May 14, 2015
RedBud,IL
Having a pool for years we have found that things seem to work better at night. My ? is. Would it be better to run the swg at night or during the day? I know that sunlight will zap out the FC that it produces, But the instuctions say it needs light to convert it into FC? SO I'm Confuzald?

It really doesn't matter whether you run it day or night. Some people say that day works better and some say that night works better. In reality, It doesn't make much difference. no matter when you run it, you need to run it enough that your FC is maintained at or above the minimum for your cya level.

It really doesn't matter whether you run it day or night. Some people say that day works better and some say that night works better. In reality, It doesn't make much difference. no matter when you run it, you need to run it enough that your FC is maintained at or above the minimum for your cya level.

Thank You for your quik reply:D We have a high CYA level in our area to begin with, Amplified by the fact I was adding about 2 extra pounds a week by using the Calcium based stuff. Hence the reason for changing to this. I hope it works as well as everyone says.

We have a high CYA level in our area to begin with
CYA only gets in the pool through you manually adding stabilizer or usage of solid forms of chlorine - specifically tricolor and Dichlor. I don't understand the "in our area" part of this.

We would like to help with your confusion, so you really need to pick up one of the recommended test kits and post a full set of tests. I get the feeling that you are starting to combine recommendations from multiple sources which can lead to problems down the road.

OK . had a pool for years at our old place. The local water supply was almost perfect. All I needed was to keep a little FC in it and all was fine. Then we Moved and had this one put in. The water supply here is so hard you would expect rocks to come out of the hose when you turn the water on. Can't live with out a softner here. Anyway I didn't give it much thought and just kept doing what I was before much to my surprise didn't work so well. The folks at the local pool shop tell me to shock and shock again. So I do and that worked. After about 2 yrs I start getting this what I thought was an alge bloom. Was green on the floor and the walls, looked like anything I would get after a good rain. SO Shock again and vac it out. Well, It turned into what looked like un-finished concrete and WOULD not come off the walls. Almost like sand paper. Ended up draining it out and getting in there with scotch brite pads. As soon as it dried out it would come right off. SO I thought it was just some weird alge thing. Filled it up and all was well about another 2 yrs and it happened again. I put a post on here hoping someone could tell me what was going on. One of your posters told me to have the CYA checked and it was off the chart. As of now I'm replaceing the liner, sand in the filter (It was about the color of baking soda). It won't come off this time. What was happening was I just kept dumpin calcuim in it and it just kept buiding up. SO Other people here have had the same issue and found that the swg works for them. Say they didn't do anything but start it up and get the time right so I'm trying that.
Sorry so long and windy.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention. I have a 21ft above ground. Was risky draining it and refilling. It took 2 days to get that stuff out. Not messing with it this time.
Also i was confusing Cya with CH. Sorry,

Last edited:
No need to be sorry for being long and windy, we need the information and all the details help. Your story just reinforces the fact that many pool stores are just trying to sell product without ny regard for what it will do to the water or pool.

In a high CH area you are going to want to pay close attention to your pH to prevent the scaling again. Read the following article on Calcium Scaling

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/149-calcium-scaling

Pick up a good test kit, most of us recommend the TF100 and take control of your pool. As you can see, staying out of the pool stores will be to your benefit as they are proving not to be your friends.

UPDATE::
Got new liner in between the raindrops, New Sand in the filter. Got the intex hooked up and running. Numbers Looked good from the get go. I went lite on the salt to start but need to test and make sure i have anuff. Ran one cycle and tested the FC. Was a little low so I added an hour to the run time but didn't get a check today. I will say we have had a lot of rain and the pool is stayin clear:). One more ? Though. Do I really need to add some CYA if it stays clear?
Thanks for everyone's help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not adding CYA will allow the FC to get burned off by the sun in a matter of minutes and therefore means that you have to run the SWCG a lot more than is needed.

I'd suggest adding at least 50 ppm CYA to your pool and possibly 70 ppm.

Also could you post a full set of test results and how you got them?

P.S. Just because it's clear doesn't mean it's sanitized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.