TA levels and SWG??

Apr 26, 2015
Jax, FL
Ok so we've had the pool a couple weeks now and we've done LOTS of testing. At first we used bleach until the SWG came in. TA levels were in line with the bleach pool recommendations.

Well now we're transitioning to the SWG and trying to find the sweet spot of how many hours per day to run the thing to keep the chlorine levels where they need to be. We're having trouble keeping the chlorine levels stable...tonight FC was at a 2 - we tested the salt and realized it was low (chlorinator not saying low salt yet)...so we added more salt. But now can't run the SWG for 24 hours....so need to add chlorine. Is it normal to have to add chlorine all the time with an SWG? Also will that affect my TA levels? TA levels have been as high as 140...test yesterday said 110 so we're getting it down with hydrochloric acid (muriatic) and aeration. I don't quite understand how the TA levels are going to stay stable once we get the number down in range for an SWG?? I've read lots on pool school...am I missing something?

We had to add more CYA tonight...don't ask me why?? We've dosed twice ...first to 40ppm and then the 2nd time to get it to 70 for swg chart. We waited well over the amount of time and have tested several times...cya level is only showing 35-40?? So adding more CYA again to get the number up to 70. We have used the pool math calc. My only thoughts are that we are losing water with kids splashing so much - pool has been used almost everyday...at least 3 kids splashing at a time. I think the low CYA is what's causing the chlorine to keep going so low on us.

Advice? Thoughts? I'm sure it will all even out but we're still in the "figuring things out" stages.... We are adding acid about every 2-3 days it seems when ph reaches 7.8 to try to get the TA levels now...aeration and SWG must be working fast to bring the ph up.

Thanks! Hope all this makes sense!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...I remember another question I had....

Why are the TA recommendations so different for a bleach pool vs. an SWG pool? Not sure how to deal with this since we are sometimes having to add bleach to keep the FC in the right range...but TA is still far outside the range for SWG? Does this make sense?

The lower TA levels are to help with the rapid pH rise that you are experiencing with a SWG. TA buffers the pH. SWG's cause aeration which causes the pH to rise.

You will inevitably need to add frequent doses of acid to lower the pH, and this in turn, will lower your TA. You will more than likely find a TA level that your pool typically resides based on the routine acid doses.

The pH will rise quickly over the next few months (even up to a year) as your plaster cures. It should begin slow with time and by maintaining a TA level between 60-70.

As for your CYA levels, it would take an extreme amount of water replacement to cut your level in half....probably not possible with splash out alone in the timeframe you mentioned. I would equate your findings with either testing error or significant water replacement due to a leak.

Sorry...I assumed you had a plaster pool until i noticed your signature. Disregard the pH rise due to the curing process. The pH rise you are experiencing is what you will have to deal with until you get your TA down. Your fill water may very well have high pH and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.