Should I add Calcium

Jan 2, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
I just had our pool bead blasted to remove years of calcium build up from our tile. My calcium has been over 1000 since we bought the house in November. It looked like the prior owner had never drained the pool since it was built in 2007.

The fill was completed this morning, bleach added, salt added, and now here is my first test results:

Pump has been running about 5 hours at this point.
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 150
CH 175
Temp 75

My question is, should I go get some Calcium to bring up the CH or should I wait a few days to see if it stabilizes. When I tested the tap water prior to starting it showed the CH to be around 200.

PoolMath says it is balanced at this point. So was wondering if I should just monitor it for a few days.

I am loath to add calcium with all of the issues we have here due to high CH. We are in the desert with 120 degree days and lot of evaporation, so I know it will be high by end of summer.

I started with a CH lower than that and was not going to add calcium with how fast it rises from evaporation here in the desert. Just keep the pH in the upper 7s to compensate some and you should be fine. Actually your higher TA is going to compensate some as well. Just look at the CSI* number in PoolMath.

* This is kind of an advanced concept, so ask questions if you do not follow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.