Long Island, NY
Size 8200 AG, DE filter

K2006
pH: 6.8-7.0
TA: 20
FC/TC:0
CYA: 0
CH: not sure, forgot to jot down, can retest later if needed

First time pool owner! We just filled the pool last week from the tap. The water looks clear. From what I can gather the TA and pH need to be taken care of first and I have some baking soda and borax for that and was about to add that tonight and let the filter run overnight.

What I'm unclear about is how to address the 0CYA/0FC properly. I've got some bleach and CYA and also have some Trichlor if I'm remembering correctly if that's a better option. I'm concerned about adding bleach without CYA for fear of bleaching the liner, but I'm unclear if there's any negative affects to adding CYA without Chlorine. What's the best way to address this? Do they need to be added proportionately or should one go in first?

Thanks for any help, I'm excited to get started.

Size 8200 AG, DE filter

K2006
pH: 6.8-7.0
TA: 20
FC/TC:0
CYA: 0
CH: not sure, forgot to jot down, can retest later if needed

First time pool owner! We just filled the pool last week from the tap. The water looks clear. From what I can gather the TA and pH need to be taken care of first and I have some baking soda and borax for that and was about to add that tonight and let the filter run overnight.

What I'm unclear about is how to address the 0CYA/0FC properly. I've got some bleach and CYA and also have some Trichlor if I'm remembering correctly if that's a better option. I'm concerned about adding bleach without CYA for fear of bleaching the liner, but I'm unclear if there's any negative affects to adding CYA without Chlorine. What's the best way to address this? Do they need to be added proportionately or should one go in first?

Thanks for any help, I'm excited to get started.
Welcome! :wave:

You don't want trichlor. It's very acidic and you're already suffering from low pH and low TA. Trichlor will make it worse.

Adjust pH first. Since you're at the bottom of the scale, you might actually be lower, so don;t get disturbed if the borax you add doesn't give you the result you expected.

Borax first. While that's mixing, fumble with the CYA and the sock. It'll take a few days to dissolve, so don't sweat it, and don't wait for it to dissolve before moving on. Half an hour or so after adding Borax, recheck the pH and TA. Again, pH first, TA second. Another half an hour after those two have been adjusted, and you can add bleach. You'll have essentially zero CYA so soon, so target 2 ppm FC. That's below drinking water standards, it won't harm your liner. When most of the CYA is dissolved, go ahead and assume it's all dissolved and adjust your FC level up to whatever you targeted. A week after adding the CYA, you can retest it. Doing before that won't be accurate and is just a waste of reagent.

Once you start doing, it'll start to make sense. Don't worry about it. By Fourth of July, your pool chemistry will be as routine and difficult as brushing your teeth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.