Big Things Happenning! New build underway

Question for you. I have done a few tile jobs myself but I never did it for a living. What would you say is different about preparing tile for a pool vs a backsplash in a kitchen? Is there a special thinset you use for a pool? I am wondering if I could put some accents on my tanning ledge myself. I am very slow but my work comes out really good usually :)

That looks great! I love the glass set inside the mosaic. And the best part? You did it! Awesome - what's next? Take care. Suz.

Wow! It looks great! I love the tile inserts you did also. Nice touch. We too are in California but southern San Diego area. We are week 16 or our pool build and they are acid washing our pebble finish today and adding water. Yippee!! I wish we were on a set fee for our water here in our area. My water bill is about the same as a car payment. We do have a big yard ( 1/2 acre) but the water is very expensive in San Diego. area.

YippeeSkippy, Thanks for the compliments. The drought thing is a touchy subject. Last Friday, my city was the first in the State of Cali to impose Stage 3 water restrictions. These harsher regs limit landscape watering to one day a week (im an odd number address so I water on Saturday), No washing cars without the use of an auto shutoff nozzle, no washing down driveways or sidewalks, and NO FILLING POOLS WITH POTABLE WATER. This action was announced in mid may, 2.5 months after I had applied for a pool permit. Here I am a week from filling my pool, nearly over budget, and now I have to pay for a couple truckloads of water to come in from another municipality. The City says they're being progressive, but I say they're being short-sighted. To be honest, I'm not yet sure how much a water truck would cost. I'm going to fill my pool with water. I am going to contribute to the drought in order to protect my investment. Why would it matter if it comes out of my tap, or from someone else's tap in the next county over? Because there is no precedent for these regulations, Code Enforcement didn't even know how much of a fine would be incurred for someone filling their pool with the city's water. I was informed, however, that a first time offense would get a written warning. Hmmmm.. Anyway, if my build was a week ahead of where it is now...it would already be full. BTW, my water use is metered but I pay a flat monthly rate for water, sewer, and trash. I guess I need to determine what costs more: the fine from the city? or the cost of a water delivery?

We are in the same boat down here in Santa Cruz - but we have been on Stage 3 since last year. They rescinded it back in December due to the heavy rains, and then put us back on it a couple of weeks ago. Luckily our local drinking water reservoir is at over 80%. We don't get any outside water, and as a city we will have the least required cutback, of 8%, for this summer.

We are also trying to figure out where to get water to fill our pool when the time comes. I have a line on a local trucking company that quoted me $400 per 3800 gallon truck. We would need about 4-5 trucks.

We are consistently way way under our allowed allotment and use 4 units per month, or 33 gallons per day / per person. Back in August of 2013 while trying to keep my grass green we used almost 20 units of water!!! That would have filled the pool! We can use up to 10 units (7500 gallons) with no penalty.

We received our permit just before the city imposed the latest water restrictions - and we have also read that the first water offense is a Warning...hmmm what to do. The Building department thus far hasn't said anything about water - and I am not asking!

We are in the same boat down here in Santa Cruz - but we have been on Stage 3 since last year. They rescinded it back in December due to the heavy rains, and then put us back on it a couple of weeks ago. Luckily our local drinking water reservoir is at over 80%. We don't get any outside water, and as a city we will have the least required cutback, of 8%, for this summer.

We are also trying to figure out where to get water to fill our pool when the time comes. I have a line on a local trucking company that quoted me $400 per 3800 gallon truck. We would need about 4-5 trucks.

We are consistently way way under our allowed allotment and use 4 units per month, or 33 gallons per day / per person. Back in August of 2013 while trying to keep my grass green we used almost 20 units of water!!! That would have filled the pool! We can use up to 10 units (7500 gallons) with no penalty.

We received our permit just before the city imposed the latest water restrictions - and we have also read that the first water offense is a Warning...hmmm what to do. The Building department thus far hasn't said anything about water - and I am not asking!

I'm not trying to be funny here, just curious and not sure how else to say it. But since you guys are way under your monthly allotment, the unused units won't carry over like phone minutes or data usage?

I know this doesn't help, but I feel so badly for ya'll in CA. I know.... you don't need sympathy, you need rain and snow in the winter. Water is such serious business, and most of us take it for granted. We're getting way too much rain now, and I try not to complain about it knowing how CA is struggling.

I just wanted to ask that question and tell you I'm thinking about you guys and hoping and praying your drought ends soon - and without torrential floods. All the best. Suz.

Question for you. I have done a few tile jobs myself but I never did it for a living. What would you say is different about preparing tile for a pool vs a backsplash in a kitchen? Is there a special thinset you use for a pool? I am wondering if I could put some accents on my tanning ledge myself. I am very slow but my work comes out really good usually :)

I used regular thin set mortar but used a polymer additive instead of water. It's supposed to be better for underwater applications. I also used the polymer additive in the grout as well. I had to build up the mortar bed about a quarter inch, waited overnight, and then built it up another 1/8 or so before I set the tile. I did this because my mosaics were quite thin and I wanted them to be flush with the finished height of the plaster, which my PB said would be close to a half inch. He also recommended cutting back the grout and mortar bed to 90 degrees off the gunite, as opposed to feathering it out or letting it slop over. I let it slop over then came back with an angle grinder after it dried and cut it back to a clean 90 degrees
a3f18866150f536f0a018c32a27828db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second everything Karyn said! The tile on the floor of the pool is great! I wish I could make those or knew someone who could. I would love to have those as a sort of swim lane to follow. Yet , I don't want the stripe on the floor of the pool. Really cool idea. The plaster looks great! Shouldn't be too much longer now, right?! Woooo Hooooo! Take care. Suz.

The plaster crew left two hoses in it before they took off...took about 7 hours to fill. Today, the PB sent his start-up guy over to test the water and cycle all the systems. I'll be brushing the plaster a few times a day for the next week or so while it cures and the chemistry balances. Luckily, it's only in the 80's here in Sacramento. It's been a weird, very mild summer so far. But standing over this beautiful swim hole is absolutely torturous!
34156af3e0dd030bbf9806a9b86f7c44.jpg
5244db0685e99c4303e36cb1e7f717dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How lovely! And elegant! I marvel at all you have done. The tiles you created look wonderful on your Cabo shelf. You're showing great restraint by not jumping in, even if it's not too hot outside. Beautiful water color once it gets all settled. Have fun! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.