Sand Blowing into Pool. Please Help!

I bought my pool used last Spring. I have a SwimPro SW256T Sand Filter. Throughout the summer, I had sand blowing into the pool. I read that changing the laterals was the only way to fix it. I ordered new laterals, with the center pipe. I bought new filter sand and we replaced the laterals. When we went to turn on the pump, it just hummed. I bought a Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Pump and hooked it up yesterday. As soon as I turned on the pump, you could hear sand swishing around and blowing into the pool. I could feel the sand blowing into the pool for about 2 minutes until it finally let up. I vacuumed today then back washed (didn't realize that was somethign that only needed done once a week) When I put it back onto filter, the sound of sand returned and it blew for 3 minutes until I turned my pump off.
What could be causing this? I am new to all of this pool stuff and I'm ready to give up, it seems like I just can't win. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome! :wave:

First things first.... you want to stop the sand until you figure this out. Many people have had success by attaching a (hole-less) sock over the return using a rubber band. That'll catch things. This is not a permanent fix.

It's possible you might have had some leftover sand in the plumbing that had to clear. But it's also possible - and likely- that you aren't using the Rinse function on the multiport valve. Here's a really nice tutorial (with pictures!) that explains how the filter works and how to backwash properly. Let us know how it works.

Thanks so much for your response!
Seems that the sand stops after about a minute. I read about the rinse function last night And tried it and when i turned it back to Filter, even more sand was blowing than before.
I cleaned out my pump basket and there was probably an inch of sand in the basket.
Are laterals super fragile? Is it likely that my husband cracked one of the laterals while changing it out?
I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.