Got my 2 spped motor, wiring question

beachinmoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
Hi, My new motor came Saturday evening and when switching it out we had an impeller that was stuck and ended up having to crack it to get it off. So Leslies didn't have the impeller and we just got one today. When my BF was at the pool store they tried to tell him that we didn't know what we were doing, that we opened a whole new can of worms and now they would have to sell up a 2 speed motor with the timer or come out and install a timer and do the pump install etc, etc... I told my BF that I wasn't surprised. He came in and looked at me and said, "I have bad news..." I told him that was to be expected. So now he is paranoid on the wiring of the motor. So I have two questions. First This motor has a toggle on it and it has a yellow, black and white wire. There is only black and red on the existing pump. It's a Hayward SP4010NS. The motor has a toggle switch already on it. How should we wire it to be on my Intermatic timer with the low speed?

The 2nd question is I have the Intermatic T4000R5 box with the switch for the light underneath and a timer on the right side of the box. How much would it cost to add a part and what would I need to add in the future to run the motor off of this timer?

Thanks in advance!

With the switch built in, you would just wire one of the power legs to the wire attached on the middle of the switch and the other to the common terminal. Plus the ground of course. There should be a wiring diagram on the motor.

Then your Intermatic timer will just turn the pump on and off and you manually use the switch on the motor to pick the speed.

You have 3 wires from the timer to the motor, right? A black, a red, and a green?
The black and red are 230V right?
If so, then it does not matter which of the 2 LINE wires (red and black) goes to which motor terminal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.