Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on TA

I have been around here reading as much information as I can. The information in the "Pool School" section is excellent, however I do have one question about something I noticed.

In the "Recommended Levels" section, is states TA should be 60-80 for all SWG pools.... then if you go to the "Water Balance for SWGs" is states that TA should be 70-90.

Being new to all of this, it may not be that big of a difference, but I would think that data coming from the same website would be consistent. Which one should I follow?

Thanks for the help and thanks for this wonderful website and resource!!!!
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on TA

Those documents were written by different people at different times. All of the various TA numbers suggested are all fine, but the ideal level for your pool might be at one end of the range or the other. Lower TA values reduce the amount of upward PH drift you might have. If PH increases are not a problem then slightly higher TA values are just a little better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The Water Balance Tips for SWGs was written based on practical observation of many salt pools. The lower limit of 60 ppm was added to the recommended levels table to include the small percentage of pools with a large amount of aeration from water features that would benefit with having a slightly lower TA for better ph stability, particularly those that do not have borates in them.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK... Good. Thanks for the valuable information and clarification. I am still new to all of this so I am still trying to learn.

waterbear... I sent you a PM. Shoot me a msg back when you get time.
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer