Went away on a 2 week vacation and let the pool go and have been facing an algae problem now for 2-3 weeks. I have a large (36k gallon) inground concrete pool with a salt system and a DE filter. All of my levels were ok - except salinity was low. I added salt and shocked the heck out of it with liquid chlorine and added an algaecide as per my local pool store's recommendations. I then noticed that the filter's pressure was way high and the flow was minimal. Next, I opened the the filter and thoroughly cleaned the elements - they were all gunked up with Algae. 24 hours later the pool is looking a much lighter shade of green/blue and the algae is (visibly) much better under control...but the filter pressure is high again. I read that algae can clog a filter in 2-3 hours. Will be cleaning the filter again tonight.
If all levels are good, and algae is visibly getting better, is it now just a matter of letting the filter run and cleaning it every day or so to get rid of all the dead algae it is gathering? Or is there some way to better deal with what algae is left...dead or alive?
Any further advice is appreciated.