Pvc leak help

Check to see if the impeller melted. Lots of plastic down there. If you have melted plastic parts, it could have locked everthing up and is not allowed the motor to turn. I'd take the motor off the pump basket and look at the impeller.

I am no expert but I agree. Mine also did the buzz thing. Mine was locked up from corrosion and being in the elements with no maintenance or anything for who knows how long.

Since it seems your son is a PVC guru you wouldn't have an issue taking the pump off and taking it apart. If your impeller looks good see if you can turn the shaft with a pair of pliers or a screwdriver on the back end.
* if you go the pliers route be sure not to put it on the threads*
Luckily for me I just needed the motor. It wasn't too difficult to put back together. I also bought the gasket/shaft seal while I was at it. It was an extra $6-10 and gives you piece of mind knowing you have new gaskets. You already have it apart anyways.
There are some videos on youtube of the rebuild. If you have questions were here for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new threaded fitting should get 5 or 6 wraps of teflon tape and then a good coating of teflon pipe sealer.

This is how you break a pump. The teflon tape increases the diameter of the threads while the past allows you to drive the nipple in further. Both of these lead to a cracked pump housing. I would recommend a praher o'ring union, or to use silicone on a male adapter and go 1 1/2 turn past hand tight.

That is a good sign. You may not know what you're looking for but you would have been able to tell if something was melted or cracked or broken.
You should have the yellow part but it could have been a different color. It also may still be in the housing. As far as the white part I'm not real sure what that is. Doesn't look familiar from when I took mine apart.
Could you turn the shaft with a pair of pliers?

16k gallon IG, Hayward Super Pump, Polaris Booster Pump, Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers and a main drain?, 4 returns that I can see, Vinyl liner w/aluminum coping

That's a good thing that you can turn the shaft. Doesn't mean it's not broken but at least it's not locked up.
May just put it all back together and it will start working as it should.

16k gallon IG, Hayward Super Pump, Polaris Booster Pump, Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers and a main drain?, 4 returns that I can see, Vinyl liner w/aluminum coping

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.