Leak out of the return line

Aug 26, 2012
Herndon, Va
I have determined that I have a leak going to on of my return lines. I haven't dug them up yet and before I do I wanted to get a little understanding as to what is under the ground.

My pool has one valve for the returns. Once side goes to the return at the center of the pool and the other goes to two returns on the far end of the pool. My question is why did they split the return at the end of the pool only to put two small returns next to each other, they are only a few inches apart? The other question I have is when they split a line where do they usually split it? Would it be near the pump, pool or just about anywhere?

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Are the two small returns on a swim out seat of some sort? Could they be aeration/hydrotherapy jets?

As to the piping location, stand by your equipment and look at the pool. If you had a shovel in your hand what would be the easiest way to dig a trench to the pool.

Are the two small returns on a swim out seat of some sort? Could they be aeration/hydrotherapy jets?

As to the piping location, stand by your equipment and look at the pool. If you had a shovel in your hand what would be the easiest way to dig a trench to the pool.

The two returns are located by the wedding cake.

Looks like I will probably just start digging right where the pipes come out of the ground and hope I find the leak before I make it all the way to the end.

Do most pools use ~1inch holes for the returns?

I'm thinking if I have to dig up the whole pipe I might want to change things to be a little more efficient.
Thoughts?

Thanks for the responses.

Did some more troubleshooting and found that my multiport valve is leaking out the backwash side. It was really hard to tell if anything was moving by the eyeglass. I have a valve on the backwash side that I shut but never saw any water coming out of there either. I guess it was small enough that you couldn't tell, but it sure adds up.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.