Gunite vs. Fiberglass

Craig1225

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2015
Mooresville/NC
Good evening all - I live in the Charlotte, NC area and have my pool types narrowed down to Gunite & Fiberglass. I have read so much information online recently that my head is "swimming". I would love to read your opinions of each with pros and cons included if possible. I was leaning towards Gunite, but reading about resurfacing has made me nervous.

I will also be posting another thread looking for recommended builders in the Charlotte area.
Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Fiberglas gets installed very very quickly once the shell of the pool is delivered. Fiberglass is the most prone to metal staining. Fiberglass tends to wear out after 20 to 30 years and need to be completely replaced. Shapes/sizes are limited.

Gunite tends to be the most expensive, and also take the longest to be installed. You can make any shape at all with gunite, which is nice. Gunite pools are the most finicky about chemical balance, not a problem, but more work than other kinds. They do need to be resurfaced every ten to thirty years, but with resurfacing can last a very very long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.