Home run to returns

Well, he is wrong about what "home run" means, but just about everything else he says is reasonable. They way he did/proposes to do the returns is one of the standard ways it is done. Separate runs all the way back to the equipment pad is also done, though not nearly as often.

On the grotto, how important the pipe size is depends on the design flow rate of the jets and the distance from the equipment pad to the grotto. The maximum flow rate numbers in the manual have little bearing on reality. Larger pipe will get higher max flow rates, and the ratio between pipe sizes is about right, but the actual flow rates will be something else entirely that depends on all of the details of the plumbing.

Plumbing wise, the grotto is like a spa. It is very common to use 2 1/2" or 3" pipe on a spa, especially if the runs are longer (say more than 20 feet).

Anyway, the specific jets used determine the flow rate you are trying to achieve and the pipe size and length determines how much flow rate you are going to get. If the builder knows what they are doing, they will have already balanced that out, and there is nothing to be gained by increasing the pipe size. On the other hand, builders don't always do those calculations correctly, or sometimes at all. Still I'm included to believe that they will have thought about it, and thus that upgrading the pipe won't get you anything.

As always, thanks a lot for your quick and detailed response.

The run from the pump to the Grotto is about 25 feet of 2 inch hard pipe and and from that pipe he runs a smaller line (it feels hard but it bends around so maybe it's a flex type line?) into the Grotto.

Here are pictures of Grotto piping if that helps at all. FullSizeRender.jpgIf it doesn't help or change your opinion, FullSizeRender (6).jpgI'll keep the piping I have.

Update: My PB came out yesterday and ran both Return Pipes (one carrying 2 returns from deep end and the other pipe carrying 3 returns from shallow end) to the pad. Each return line goes into a threeway, and the threeway is connected to another threeway that is connecetd to my SWG and a tee that connects to the two pipes running to my two Bubblers in the Sunshelf. I believe this is what everyone suggested, but if you could confirm the picture looks right, that would be appreciated. IMG_1639.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 69
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.