looking at a new In Ground Pool...questions

Aug 17, 2013
I have had a 16" intex pool for several years now here in AZ. Been pretty successful but we are going to have a new in groud pool put in shortly.

I am looking for some advice on a few topics....

First, what type of heater should we go with if we have a heated pool?

What is the best type of filtration given the fact that dust usually turns into mud and sediment in the bottom of pools here in AZ. Popups?

Pump and filtration..bigger always better?

And finally...the favorite...chlorine or salt?

now I know I didn't provide a lot of details about the in ground pool we are looking...and thats because we haven't narrowed it down yet.

Any help you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

Solar is by far the least expensive. Gas heaters heat quickly and are ideal for "special event" heating. Heat pumps cost less than gas to run for maintaining temperature 24/7, but still way more than solar.

All three types of filters are good. In floor cleaning systems are great when you have a lot of blown in dust.

Pumps are usually better smaller, while filters are better larger. A two speed pump is the most economical choice.

I love salt, would never go back.

I went pretty high end on my equipment (see signature) last summer on our install and it was worth every penny. Between the equipment and the advice here, I do nothing....nothing except test the water and throw in my robot once and a while. I have the heat pump and it is great, it both heats and cools so your water is always with 1-2degrees of what ever you set it at. It is nice on the hot summer days or with a an auto cover that heats up the water to bath water temps. It is more money up front, but it seems to be very efficient and being my whole system is Pentair, it all works and talks seamlessly using the screen logic. I can control the whole pool from my iphone (pump, laminar jets, temp, SWG). I prefer salt, my parents have a chlorine tab pool in FL and I prefer the feel and ease of the salt water. Being able to control the Chlorine output down to a single digit percentage is nice on the screenlogic.

I would think a robot would be effective for cleaning up the dust debris for much less cost, but I have no exposure at all with an in floor cleaning system so I cant comment. Are you looking at an auto cover? That would protect pool from dust plus a safety/security factor if kids are around, I love mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.