Hayward SP3400VSP + Solar setting?

Apr 6, 2015
Davenport
Hi All

Hope someone can please offer some advice, last year I installed a Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump and its worked perfect though the winter but now I would like to turn on my solar heating, its been running on the default speed setting but now it appears my solar panels need a little more power to pump. Does anyone here have a VS pump and can let me know what speed settings they use with it? I started it up yesterday and it ran for a bit then gave me a prime error, so I turned off the solar and it worked just fine so I must need to make some changes. BTW not that I can think it matters but my pool is also a salt system.

Hope someone can help, thank you very much

Stu

Welcome to TFP!

No one can tell you the speed to use for solar, every pool is different. It will definitely be towards the higher end of the range, perhaps 2/3rds of the way up is a good place to try to start with and then experiment until you get something that works well.

If you continue to get prime errors, you can try switching the prime setting on the pump from automatic to 3 minutes.

We run our 3hp VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming/filtering and at 1950 rpm for solar. Our panels are cool to the touch and that is plenty of flow. We started at 1500 rpm, which seemed like enough for solar at first, but as the filter got dirty it seemed a little light and the panels were still warm so we upped the speed. Pump still only draws 550 watts at 1950 rpm. Which is sweet and cheap to operate.

This solar question comes up all the time. First, change over in configuration from auto prime to 3 minute prime. On all solar panels is a relief valve that opens when the pump shuts off, draining water from the panels. This is a good thing. If you get too low in speed the valve will stay open, When the pressure in the system is ok the valve will stay closed. First of all, ask the solar company what the recommended gpm per panel is and do the math to find out the suggested gpm. From this we can make some assumptions (hate that word but we need a starting point). I always say prime the panels than drop down in GPM as heat transfer is the best at the right gpm.

I always say prime the panels than drop down in GPM as heat transfer is the best at the right gpm.

Actually, heat transfer to the pool increases as the GPM increases. But at some point the diminishing added heat gain is not worth the added electrical cost to run at higher speeds + stress (pressure) on the panels.

A good rule of thumb is 1 GPM per 10 sqft of panels. The panels should feel cool to the touch if you have enough water flow.

Thank you for all the replies and help, I put it on full speed and it seems to be pushing it around the solar just fine but I will still experiment with the speed settings. Can someone tell me how long please I need to run the VS pump for each day?, my pool size is nearly 15k gallons. Thank you

Have you read this? Determine Pump Run Time

But if you are trying to add heat, you need to run for as long as the sun is shining on the solar panels.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thats great, thank you so much for the info, I now have my pump setup perfectly, pools starting to heat nicely, no more prime errors and running from 10am to 7pm which is roughly about the sun up/down here. Thanks again for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.