New house and pool 2 questions

Apr 27, 2014
Houston, TX
I have 2 questions surrounding the new pool in Houston TX .area

My house is slab on grade and it was finished in January of this year. Is it too soon to dig an inground pool for any settling type reasons?

The current pool design has a 4 ft deep section within 3 feet of the covered patio slab which is integrated with the rest of the house slab and holds part of the roof structure up the roof line. Is this ok? I dont want to have any warranty issues for the house due to pool distance from the slab.

thanks.

Typical structural loads need to be same distance from the pool as the depth in that location. In your example, the 4 ft section needs to be 4 ft minimum from the edge of the pool(in most cases), preferably more.

Of course there are ways around this but it would more than likely involve adding additional reinforcement to the existing footing and adding additional structural support to the pool wall in the effected areas. Neither are uncommon or overly complicated but will require specific engineering.

Your pool dig should not change the integrity of the home's foundation (regardless of age) as long as you stay within the parameters mentioned above.

Patrick is correct though, the structural engineer that provides the engineering for your pool plans would obviously have the final say. I would not rely on any structural advice received from someone on the internet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.